stripercrazy

showtime finished plugs

Rate this topic

5,262 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Punch63 said:

Had some Flaming Boxelder left

20210112_143557.jpg

No paint required. Friggin awesome grain pattern...interesting little guy. Weighted?  Where?

On 1/12/2021 at 10:15 PM, mrscott24 said:

No paint required. Friggin awesome grain pattern...interesting little guy. Weighted?  Where?

Not weighted, had a very small piece of that wood left, it's just over 2", not even sure

if it will swim, though could be a nice key chain ornament.

50 mins ago, Punch63 said:

Not weighted, had a very small piece of that wood left, it's just over 2", not even sure

if it will swim, though could be a nice key chain ornament.

Based on similar plugs i have made. My guess is that it swims.

17 hours ago, Punch63 said:

Black, purple and a little color shift, makes for a spooky spook for night

20210114_143501.jpg

What time of the night do you plan on throwing dark spooks?  Ive found that they've only worked for me as soon as any sort of light peeks the horizon.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spooks, needle, darter.   And a couple of paint jobs from this morning, to be epoxied Monday.  Waiting on hardware and eyes, but figure I can add them later with a second coat of epoxy 

8E336BC7-422A-4ACA-8868-78587164A9AC.jpeg

961A60A4-BE5E-4AA5-B874-7AD15F8D2B64.jpeg

16EB45BD-6C04-4E18-A922-60945ABA927E.jpeg

14EB4464-A30B-404E-AA00-00BD5C725284.jpeg

Edited by Bluetaildragger

5 hours ago, t_man7 said:

What time of the night do you plan on throwing dark spooks?  Ive found that they've only worked for me as soon as any sort of light peeks the horizon.  

t-man, night is night, any dark colored plug, fly ( if fly fishing  ) work great at night

2 hours ago, Punch63 said:

t-man, night is night, any dark colored plug, fly ( if fly fishing  ) work great at night

I think his question was regarding the use of a spook at night not the color.

I guess I've never heard you can only use certain baits at certain times of the day or night.I realize some baits may work better depending when used, as does the color used, but its a fish, if you can fish, you can catch

1 hour ago, Punch63 said:

I guess I've never heard you can only use certain baits at certain times of the day or night.I realize some baits may work better depending when used, as does the color used, but its a fish, if you can fish, you can catch

You can do whatever works for you. I am assuming he questioned a spook in the dark because it's generally not commonly used at night. Tman would be better able to answer why he inquired. Buzzbaits are commonly used when the water is warm and in low light conditions. I know someone who fishes them in early spring and late fall in the middle of the day and gets fish on them. Poppers aren't typically a night time lure either but some people use them.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:18 AM, BassAssasin said:

They look good. How do they work? Ambitious first efforts, darter and bottle darter. That "reverse pencil" interesting, I assume you weighted the back end. Be interested to know how that worked out.

Finally had a chance to test swim them.  The darter, at least in the calm bay water, doesn’t dart.  More of a minnow plug action to it, but it will catch so I’m chalking it up as a win.  The bottle darter darts, needs some fine tuning but a decent foundation to start with.  The spook sits perfectly in the water (about 20 degrees tail down) but upon retrieve, tends to dive.  I’m thinking that rather than a center through drill, I will put the nose hole further down the chin and use a little less lead next time.  

While a spook may not be the first plug I reach for at night, I've definitely had success with them after dark or before first light. Sometimes v wake them, other times walking them. If I walk them, usually slower than I would during the day. Wake them for a bit, walk it a few reel turns, wake it, repeat can also be good. 

5 hours ago, Jig Man said:

While a spook may not be the first plug I reach for at night, I've definitely had success with them after dark or before first light. Sometimes v wake them, other times walking them. If I walk them, usually slower than I would during the day. Wake them for a bit, walk it a few reel turns, wake it, repeat can also be good. 

Andrew, we're talking about real striped bass here:point: you know the same rules don't apply:p. I have no Jigman spooks BTW:waah:

On 1/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, Bluetaildragger said:

Spooks, needle, darter.   And a couple of paint jobs from this morning, to be epoxied Monday.  Waiting on hardware and eyes, but figure I can add them later with a second coat of epoxy 

8E336BC7-422A-4ACA-8868-78587164A9AC.jpeg

961A60A4-BE5E-4AA5-B874-7AD15F8D2B64.jpeg

16EB45BD-6C04-4E18-A922-60945ABA927E.jpeg

14EB4464-A30B-404E-AA00-00BD5C725284.jpeg

Man, I like that big fat spook. I'd be tempted to call it a "stogie"!