stripercrazy

showtime finished plugs

Rate this topic

4,642 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2020 at 1:59 PM, TKSurf said:

A few new swimmers made from maple, they swim lower in the water column and have a more subtle swimming action than cedar.  

P3310096.JPG

Very clean sir. Loving the colorway of that  second plug from the top.

Thanks guys, Wire for Fire a white plug is almost always the first plug out of the bag for me, sometimes I think that if the plug swims good its the only color I need. 

21 mins ago, TKSurf said:

Thanks guys, Wire for Fire a white plug is almost always the first plug out of the bag for me, sometimes I think that if the plug swims good its the only color I need. 

Yea same here man .. unless it’s a no moon night ... 

10 hours ago, Dan_evan1 said:

So I use foil HVAC tape that has an adhesive backing (Thinner the better). I’ll cut it to length, tape it down to my drafting board and then trace the outline of the lure I want to foil. Then using a drafting triangle and an exacto knife I’ll score the lateral line and any scale pattern and I can keep the lines on a fixed, consistent angle. I usually do a combination of the etched scale and textured scale to create some more depth - whether it be etched lines above or below the lateral line, and textured on the other or texturing the head starting at the “gill plate”. I use anything from preformed wire mesh to the knurling on the handle of a ratchet, or for more detailed stuff I’ll unscrew the bolt that goes into a pair of vice grips and roll that over the tape.

When applying the foil start from the middle and work your way outwards. On a lures with round bodies (basically everything outside glider style lures) you’ll greatly reduce the amount of creases in the foil edge. Getting those creases is pretty much inevitable but you can use something smooth and round (Dowel, pen, marker, etc.)and get rid of, or at least greatly reduce their visibility.

I don’t overly worry about creases along the edge because after I foil the lure I’m going to lay down the first coats of paint on the back and belly and then epoxy. After epoxy I can then cover my foil lines with opaque/pearl/iridescent paint and transition into my transparent paints on the side scale. This is really a situation where less is more and probably the biggest mistake most people make when they foil lures. You really need to control how much paint, as well as the type you’re putting down, otherwise you quickly negate the point of the foil. Despite looking sparse, you will notice after your next epoxy coat it brings the underlying paint and foil to life. 

Here’s a little progression clip and some random stuff.

I’ve also used a metal polish like Flitz and a small micron microfiber like those made for glasses or a firearm and I will polish the aluminum foil and it will progressively turn the foil from a satin to a glossy finish. 

Your a sick man .. that first jointed swimmer in that vid was pretty epic.. beautiful stuff and thanks for sharing your process , sounds like a ton of work but man can’t argue with the results 

They are all very nice.

The long nosed mack is very cooling looking,

but more a little disturbing with those exaggerated proportions.

Just saying.

And the Blue and yellow popper with those really cool eyes is an awesome choice of colors accenting each other.

Great job.:clap:

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 9.46.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 9.45.43 AM.png

More of the same here . 5” prob end up right around 2oz .. epoxy came out pretty close to flawless for once .. thanks epoxy gods .. can’t wait to pin one in a fishes face here in next couple weeks . Just getting last of plugs for myself done .. might have one last batch In me before it’s fish and fish and fish 

8CE2790C-34C5-42F6-BF81-9AA438B01E75.jpeg

0C32DFC7-BEFE-49D2-ABE4-6D474492B600.jpeg

10 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

More of the same here . 5” prob end up right around 2oz .. epoxy came out pretty close to flawless for once .. thanks epoxy gods .. can’t wait to pin one in a fishes face here in next couple weeks . Just getting last of plugs for myself done .. might have one last batch In me before it’s fish and fish and fish 

8CE2790C-34C5-42F6-BF81-9AA438B01E75.jpeg

0C32DFC7-BEFE-49D2-ABE4-6D474492B600.jpeg

Sick. What paint is that for the swirl?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, t0phtrt said:

Sick. What paint is that for the swirl?

It’s all done with regular old createx 

And you should just man up and try it . It easy and fun and results are great 

Edited by Wire For Fire

32 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

It’s all done with regular old createx 

And you should just man up and try it . It easy and fun and results are great 

Yea I want to now. I meant which color? I thought it had to be a pearl?

5 mins ago, t0phtrt said:

Yea I want to now. I meant which color? I thought it had to be a pearl?

Yes pearl or metallic .. them be white pearl over black white gold 

Ran down to water today to test some stuff .. well capesams was right the mahogany metal lips all pretty much turds . Rolled and or lil to no action.. lesson learned .. most of my pencils worked as expected or better , and new spook Style I trying casted like a missle and spooked great ..  

but now my cedar lil cigar swimmer and atom jr were nice surprise , the cigar really waggles wide and stable and gets down if I want it to .. the atom jr turned out more subsurface but swam nice and could prob be tweaked to swim a tad higher .. 

hard to hold phone and work the rod but ya get the idea