Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jabster

Hairy Piker's

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Thank you for your kind words.

We will see if this type of fly takes it place in my box. The soft fur does add quite a bit of weight to the fly.

:drool:     The colour on this puppy is awesome. If the Pike don't hit that head back home they're not hitting anything.  :hooked: :th::th:  :wave:

Got these hooks from ebay dirt cheap Eagle Claw L255N 4/0. Have you guys used them? Great proportions, perfect weight, surprisingly strong(really) and sharp enough straight from the box and with a bit of sharpening very sharp. The only thing thats a bit off is the short point and clunky barb. I did pinch the barb off right away, but still its a bit clunky at that point.

jabster, they are nice flies for sure. good eye for taper and functionality great water pushers! I like seeing your contributions. Gary Borger had the best term for flies like these. He referred to them as having a great acoustic footprint. Can't emphasize that enough!

BobPop

Thank you Bob!

Still have work on a few things on these once I get feedback from the fish. These two latest ones move very differently. The one on the right has a bit of a jig jig on its swim, which has been an excellent thing in june or early fall for pike. The one on the left rides very stable (as do all the other ones with big fur heads) and you can just leave it for ages and then do a quick strip and it seems to pulsate for ages again after that. Weird and exciting stuff tying attractors or baitfish patterns for predator fish. I do enjoy tying all the other stuff as well (salmon, trout, tarpon, etc...), but there's is something about this stuff that gets in under your skin.