Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper101

Van Staal Vs Zbass

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Never being a big fan of over overly expensive reels I'm looking for some advise. I've also been a Penn reel guy myself and still am. However that said I know it's a new generation. My son is graduating high school this year and considering he lives to fish I've thinking a Van Staal or ZBass would make a great graduation gift.   My thought process is hard work will bring rewards in life.

So advise on the two choices would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

Bob M.

Great present. There are two camps on this and both are great. Try and ask him which he perfers without letting the cat out of the bag. Ask about color as well this way you can give him the reel of HIS dreams. Good luck

Well said. You won't find your answer here. Only a bunch of guys with strong feelings either way. Both are great. Try to figure out what his dream reel is. LUCKY KID!!!! (And I am sure, well deserved!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post

Great present. There are two camps on this and both are great. Try and ask him which he perfers without letting the cat out of the bag. Ask about color as well this way you can give him the reel of HIS dreams. Good luck

Great advice   :th:

I own both and a slight preference towards the ZB only because u can change spools...either one your son will be happy with....

Excuse me, there are three camps. I belong to the third camp...I like them both and I own them both...He would like either choice..however if he is the type of guy who also likes the look..,ZB is a better choice....

Your idea is thoughtful. Giving a reel that should last a lifetime is a great investment. I think he will be grateful for whichever you choose.

Great gift idea….very nice. As said previously, both are excellent choices and you really can't go wrong with either.

If you use the search function at the top of the pages, you will see what everyone is referring to. The VS v ZB debate is well documented here!!! Poke around for a minute and you'll see what I mean LOL!!!

Best of luck to you and your boy!!

I own them all & your best bet is to give him a gift certificate to your local tackle shop. Shop around for your best prices& buy it there. You can get a picture of both reels and put them in a card along with the gift card. This way you won't have to worry about which one to choose from or you picking the wrong size ETC. You can't go wrong with either but let him pick it out!

You'll get all sorts of replies . You got the VS diehard & the ZB diehard , I think my idea will save you a lot of time & heart ache ! ;)