Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dave

New Rods From All-Star

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

In an earlier post I had mentioned that I was working with the development team at All-Star along with Ryan White of Hatteras Jacks in NC. I've had a couple of rods in the back of my mind which I wanted to be made to some of my specifications. I've wanted these 2 rods for quite some time. These rods would target the Northeast Surf Fishermen. Well the time has come! I have been informed that the rods will be shipped to me next Monday. Ryan White at Hatteras Jacks has wrapped them and is giving them a test run as well. After speaking with him today he told me that there just about as I had wanted. As soon as I get them I will take them out for a field day and give my opinion on them. If in fact we managed to hit this one right on the money these rods will be nothing short of Awesome. My target is the ability to send bottle plugs out of sight as well as targeting the 5 to 8 N bait guys that don't want or need a 12'6" heaver or longer. The rods are 11' for the Plugging stick and 11"6 for the light heaver. More to come for sure

Best Regards Big Dave

When you say will not be able to tell is a 2 piece from where the joint is, I hope someone is finally building a 2 piece that can be shipped at a reasonable price but feels like a 1 piece because the joint is low on the rod - maybe even below the reel. That would be a neat innovation -although I understand that some old-time rods did exactly that.

We have to be careful of what we wish for. There is a problem with putting the joint below the reel. When you've got the rod in a rack on the front of your vehicle the butt section can work loose and drop out the bottom of the rod tube. Once that happens the butt is pretty much history, one way or another.

The early All Star 2 piece-1 piece heaver blank was configured with the joint below the reel. I have been told that they moved the joint above the reel because of this problem. This may explain why you don't see many/any rods configured this way.

Dan

The All Star 1418/2 does OK with big plugs too, but I find it heavier than the 1322, a bit tip-heavy and a little harder to load. Plus you have the extra 9" to deal with in tight quarters.

I'm thinking what All Star really needs is a 1208 with the tip trimmed back to a size 10/64 and an extra foot on the bottom. Something like 10'8" overall length. You could get a builder to customize it now by cutting the tip and extending the butt, but it would be nice to have one made that way.

Last time I used my 1208, I was tossing 3 oz bucks in Moriches. When you crank it back against the current, that size 8 tip gets kinda droopy. Especially now during cabbage season.

We do not make a one piece blank over 10' but currently we have some fiberglass blems that fit as extensions into the BGSW1208. They are selling for $5.00/each plus freight. Please contact me via e-mail (sharon@allstarrods.com) if you want more information.

Sharon Johnson

All Star

At 4 OZ , I don't know any rod that will outcast an Allstar 11'9" in the hands of a regular fisherman. the ziplexes in the hands of a good tournament catser will but your average guy just can't load those rods.

The Allstars and Lamis are for the most part different in that the Allstars are more fats action while the lamis are more moderate. There are some exceptions. The Allstar 1265 is more moderate as is the Allstar 1267.

My honest opinion is that only the Lami Ron Arra series can compete with the Allstars for distance. The GSB lamis , which are excellent once hooked up (probably better fish fighters than the Allstars) just won't cast as far as the Allstars.

The Arra 1261MH and the Arra 1322 are excellent rods. For all around performance , they are hard to match.

I wouldn't write off the longer Allstars just cause they are twp piecers. The joints are excellent and if kept clean and put together properly , they will make the rod perform like a 1 piecer. For the guy carrying the rods in a small car where two pieceres are a must , the Allstar 1145 , 1265 , 1266, 1267 and the 1418 are the best two piecers I know of outside the lami Arra series..