Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnycakes

Redesigned Van Staal?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Most are well aware of the origin of the VS reels. A brilliant display of simplicity utilizing a mix of form and function. The design is 30 years old (give or take) and it seems the most common word used while describing one is "Durability". That being said let me ask,If they were to update the design of the reel,would you feel secure in the reliability due to it's well deserved track record or be hesitant to buy one until some time had passed,letting them prove themselves again?

Most are well aware of the origin of the VS reels. A brilliant display of simplicity utilizing a mix of form and function. The design is 30 years old (give or take) and it seems the most common word used while describing one is "Durability". That being said let me ask,If they were to update the design of the reel,would you feel secure in the reliability due to it's well deserved track record or be hesitant to buy one until some time had passed,letting them prove themselves again?

Wouldn't this just be a zeebaas?

True. I wasn't knocking the question, but who is designing it should have some factor into the descision. The credit of the durability of this reel goes back to the original design. You take that away it becomes a different reel to me like a vm.

That said, I would just wait for initial comments and make an educated guess after Alan Hawk's review. I can't wait 5 minutes, let alone 5 years for durability issues.

True. I wasn't knocking the question, but who is designing it should have some factor into the descision. The credit of the durability of this reel goes back to the original design. You take that away it becomes a different reel to me like a vm.

That said, I would just wait for initial comments and make an educated guess after Alan Hawk's review. I can't wait 5 minutes, let alone 5 years for durability issues.

That's a good point. When they introduced the VSB I am not sure if that was a Rob K design or if he had moved on already. FWIW that reels durability was in question and point of discussion for a while after it's release.

I look at it like this......Did you ever buy a vehicle on the first year of a redesign? If you have then most likely you have been back and forth to the dealership so they can perform all the recall services to the car or truck. My work gave me a Ford Escape last year to use as a work vehicle. There was 30 recalls for it. Ridiculous. But it was a new design. It takes a few years of building anything that has moving parts to get all the kinks worked out. I think that years ago when things would change, more often then not, they changed for the better. Nowadays I feel the opposite is true. When products I use change, I feel that they change for the worse. The problem with these innovators is that they build a product, they get it to it's peak state or whatever you want to call it, then after a few years they get antsy. They feel the need to innovate some more, because it's in their nature to do just that. And when they over innovate they ruin the product most of the time. It's like they forgot what they set out to do in the first place. The Van Staal does what we need it to do. It works, it sells, it's good. I can almost guarantee that nothing good would come out of changing this reel. I could be wrong but one day I'm sure we will all find out.

Id like to see an improvment with the side plate and needle bearings design..thats where most my problems occur.i like that the spool ribbons though..if you lose line it comes back to the edge after a long cast .as for would i buy an updated version...absolutely.

I posted a similar note on the reel forum. Lets look at what has changed over the years between CT and China:

Reel foot (more material)

Drag knob (for sealed drag)

Drag (sealed)

Spool (for sealed drag)

Main shaft (titanium)

Main body (slotted retainer for radial bearing)

Main gear (early models used hex bolt for handle "timing"

Traverse guide (machined VS stamped)

Rotor and counter weight (internal - external)

Line Roller

Side cover (hex)

Handle hub (new version uses shims for "timing")

Handle arm (more material)

Handle arm hardware

Ceramic bearing option on service

Think that is it. As you can see, we currently have the "refined" version of an old idea.

I have to agree with RayG. I love the simple design of the VS series, but the VSB is better designed with the anti reverse bearing under the flyer (no chance of lock out) and a skirted spool. Unfortunately, offering the bailess kit for the VSB series would likely end the VS series.

I always said, i wish my Shimanos had the durability and waterproof sealing of the VS, and

I always wished my VS reels were as pleasurable to fish as my Shimanos. If VS was able

to come up with that happy medium in a reel, then I wouldnt hesitate for one second making

that purchase.