Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

need help on a dual purpose setup...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

i have a rainshadow SU 1264-F blank that is going to be built soon.. 10'6" up to probably 2.5 oz...

I want to be able to fish with conventional when i'm slinging metal but will likely want a spinning reel on it from time to time for plugging..

i've considered the low riders but my heavens they are pricey.. searched the archives and found some thoughts from some of you that the same thing can be achieved with standard casting frame alconites...

any thoughts GREATLY appreciated...

2.5 is high for that rod .

I think if you paln on a relatively small spooled spinner filled with braid you can do a nice dual spinner conventional. Because you will be using spinner guides , you should be Ok putting them out where the spinner set up needs them and still not be too far out when using a conventioonal because of the frame height of the guides. i would probably go with a 30 spinner guide about 38 inches out. Go down from there.

BTW , I have one of those blanks I bought about 4 years ago. Thought it would make a nice beach rod someday. Just no time to build for myself. That's gonna change!!! smile.gif

Have a 11'8" I built dual purpose, BSVLG 25-20-BNLG 20-16-12-12-12-12...stripper at 34" to reel seat center. Fish it with a 6500CT/17lb Sufix and a 7500 Nautil/30lb Stealth, casts well with either reel.

I guess its best at about 1.5. 2 OK. It will probably handle 2.5 but if thats a main interest , its the wrong rod. I think its a nice rod for tossing swimming plugs like 3/4 to 2.