Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Breakaway 1266 conventional guide layout

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I know Al's counsel about working up in 1 inch increments, but what about actual rods ya'll have built. How many and where, particularly starting with a 25 and working down to a 10 tip. I get to start in just over a week!

PM,

The 1-inch increments are used as a general guideline. The action of the blank, fast, medium or slow and the height of the guides will determine the proper number guides and their position.

You are working with a 10.5 foot moderate action blank according to the factory specs. Depending on the model and size of the guides chosen you could probably use seven guides as follows based on using the Fuji NSG or BNLG:

25,20,16,12,12,12,10 plus a tip.

Place the 25 28-30 inches from the center of the seat.

#10 guide 5 inches from the tip.

Space out the remaining guides from tip to butt in increasing increments.

Test cast and do a static deflect test. Fine tune the guide positions as required. if you are not happy you may need to add another #10 guide and start over will the spacing.

Bottom line is that there is no cookbook formula for guide spacing. Each rod need to be fine tuned for maximum performance.

I measured my 2 conventional rods...

Lami GSB132 1L Rated 2-6oz

Tip, 4 3/8, 9, 14 3/4, 21 1/2, 28 3/4, 36 7/8,46 1/2, 58 3/8, 72 3/4-- center of reelseat is 103 1/2 inches from the tip

St Croix Ben Doer Elite 10' rated "Up to 3oz" (factory rod)

Tip. 6 1/2, 14, 22 1/2, 32 1/2, 43 1/8, 55 1/8, 68 3/4-- reel seat is 96 1/2" from tip

The St Croix uses higher guides(BSVLG?) than I used on my Lami (BHNLG).

gad

[This message has been edited by gadwall8 (edited 12-20-2002).]

At a certain point, I think(?) the line starts to really travel at an angle away from the center of the blank and then it has to be corralled by the second guide. My impression is that you want the line heading straight out sooner than later. If my logic is correct, casting a narrower reel Like an 6500 Abu is less sensitive to stripper guide location than say a wider reel like a Squidder. Test casting is the surest way to find the optimum for your reel.

Or, I'm all wet and you better wait for Alsmile.gif

gad