Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

SiC Vs. Hardaloy

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

After much thought and much more help from this website I started to build a custom rod last week. The boys over at CMS couldn't have been more helpful. I chose to make a xra1322. I started out wanting a rod to jig the canal, but the thought of heaving plugs and poppers off of the beach with that rod swayed me.

Even with their help I still have a couple of questions.

1. Guides. Most of the books I have read recc. the SiC guides, but they guys at CMS tried to explain that I wouldn't really feel any diff between the hardaloy guides and the silicon???? I know this board has some of the best fishers in the East and any replies are greatly appreciated. I couldn't have undertaken this project without all of the help I received from this board.

2. I know the xra1322 isn't the ideal jigging rod for the canal. That's next year's project, but will it get the job done? Are there any reccomendations out there to better jig the canal with this rod???

Again thanks again and tightlines...

Stroth

The 1322 is a great stick and can be use on the Canal as well as the open beaches. The rod that alot think is the idea jig rod for the Canal is the XRA1261MH.

As far as guides, the hardaloys from Fuji are excellent guides. There is an approximate $50/set difference in cost between the SIC and the Hardaloy. While there is some improved performance using SIC, you have to justify in your own mind the added cost.

Alot of custom rod owners feel that if they are investing in a custom rod from a qualified builder, then the added cost of SIC guides is the way to go.

Whether you choose SIC or Hardlay guides, please install an SIC tip for added durability.

Al

Al:

Thanks for all of your help. After much deliberation I think I am going with the SiC guides. I've logged many many hours researching, thinking, and talking with other anglers about this particular rod with this particular setup that I don't want to skimp on the guides. If I get the damn thing all configured and it doesn't perform like I think it will I don't think I'll be able to sleep at night. Yes, fishing can become quite an addiction.

One thing I know for sure. The xra1322 will far outperform the BassProShop Gold Cup rod I am using now. How much that outperformance will be is the question???

Stroth,

Using Hardloys is not "skimping" on the cost by any means IMO They perform just as well, and have never seen one groove, even with wire line used often.

JC

I'm with Jameson. I've built myself a bunch with SIC and now mostly hardaloy. I've yet to see one fail or notice a performance difference. The price difference is noticable. Don't forget, you can go in between and get the alconite rings.

I do drive a pick-up not a ferrari.

I've only been fishing for stripers for about four years now. When I started I bought the cheapest possible rod I could find. I never thought I would get that into it. The next year I upgraded to a couple of UglySticks thinking that I would never spend more $$$. Last season early on I was at a very known early spot for stripers and blues. I was being outcast, outfished, and generally humilated on a minute by minute basis by the sharpies who were on that beach. After that evening I'll never go cheap again. I can't wait to get my hands on this new rod and although I believe the hardaloys will work I'm still going with the SiC. Hopefully this will be a rod that I use for a lifetime why not put on the best that I can afford. Again thanks to everyone on this board who has helped. It's a good think to have so many knowledgable people in one spot.