Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arby

Guide Selection & Spacing SW1207 ???

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

OK, MikeMcG was kind to give me a rod wrapper so I'm building my first rod. (thanks Mike) HappyWave.gif

I picked up a Rainshadow SW1207 blank this afternoon. I'd like to set it up as a spinning rod.

I want to use Fuji Hardloy BSVLG "or" BHVLG guides. I'd like opinions between the 2 and which sizes to use. I want to have 5 guides plus the tip. I also would appreciate spacing from you kindly Gurus of rod building.

I'm not too familiar with that blank, but I would reccommend using the BSVLG guides, (You could use a BHVLG40HH for a stripper if needed) your guide placement will be determined by the length of your butt section, (butt end to center of reel seat, to be determined by you and your feel); type of reel to be used? (usually determines the placement of your stripper guide and the size of it) and the rest of the guides are placed according to the arc of the blank. i.e. XRA1204, I used a 40, 30, 20, 16, 12 and tip. place your guides on with masking tape, put your reel on and give it a test cast or two, adjust your guides accordingly, WATCH FOR LINE SLAP. (USE A FOOTBALL FIELD SO YOU COULD MARK AND MEASURE YOUR CAST) take your time, I hope this helped you get started.

Ron,

I would use the BMNAG#J guides and a BMNAT# tip. These are the Heavy Duty Spinning Alconite Ring Concept Guides. Normally I would go with six guides and a tip for this rod, but five seems to be more popular. For five guides go with a 40, 30, 20, 16, 12 and a 12 tip.

thumbs.jpg

For someone who is "all thumbs" biggrin.gif the cork tape grips and the reel seat looks pretty darn good so far.

Eric, since this is my first venture into rod making I want to use the hardloy guides. Thank you for your input anyway, buddy. I can only hope it has some resemblance to the rods you've built for me in the past.

Placo, I was thinking to use the BSVLG guides. I plan on using a 704Z, 706Z or a Nautil 7500 as the reel for this rod. I measured 15 1/2 inches to the beginning of the reel seat.

I figured to do the guide placement the regular way (ie... bend rod, put guides where they work the best) then do the casting as you recommended. I was looking for a starting point redface.gif . But, I might as well do it myself to learn the correct way... icon14.gif

I'm extremely worried I'm gonna screw up the guide wraps... cwm31.gif And NO, there isn't going to be any fancy butt wrap... eek.gif We call it "Baby Steps" HappyWave.gif

Your welcome HappyWave.gif I hope it works out for you.

A good starting point for the first guide would be around 28-30 inches from the spool. You could even go down to a 30 for the first guide.

Now come on and put a butt wrap on it tongue.gif

If you need anything like special tricks for wrapping thread or any type of equipment, shoot me an e-mail. You will appreciate fishing with it when its done, and not to mention the thrill of catching your first fish on your own hand made rod. biggrin.gif

If you are going to use a 704Z or 706Z then I would go with a 40HH or a 50 for your first guide, if you are building it old school. If you are using braid, which I believe you are, then a regular 40 at about 34 inches from the face of the spool would be a good starting point for the concept system. Don't forget that the distance from the first guide to the tip should be no more than 5-6 inches. Good Luck "Grandpa" smile.gif

Arby... I dont like to give guide spacing because every blank is a little bit different, but for that rod, most times 5 inches from the tip to the last (or first guide depending on which way you count), is a good starting point. then work your way down the blank.

Also, a tip... after the reel seat is installed, attach the reel your gonna use, and place the first guide far enough away from the reel seat so that there isnt too much of an angle from the top of the spool to the top of the guide. the less of an angle, the better you'll be able to cast.. more angle=more friction going through guide, less line speed, less casting distance..

For that blank, I like to use BSVLG's. #40,30,25,20,16 with a 12 tip. those are the guides I use, and I LOVE IT...

Good luck, PM if you need more advice..

BC

You may want to consider picking up a couple extra 12's or 10's even if you're using braid. The SW1207 deserves a little extra "blank protection" in the form of additional guides and static deflection...in my opinion. (Note: the restraint of the small stripper guide arguement. upck.gif )