Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

GSB1362MH shopping list

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am putting together a shopping list for a lami gsb1362mh and I have a few questions.

This rod is a good bit heavier than anything that I have built thus far.

First would be a reel seat, I typically like a trigger seat on a surf conventional so I would go with a size 22 trigger seat. I am not sure that a 22 is adequate for a rod this sized.

Is a 24 better suited for the task ? Does fuji make a 24 trigger ?

Second is guides, Is a size 25 adequate for the first guide. For a start I'm thinking along the lines of 25,20,20,16,16,16 with a 16 tip.

I would consider guides other that fuji hardaloys but I am having some difficulty finding a suitable tip. The tube size on the blank is listed as a 20. What are my options for a tip with a 16 ring and a 20 tube ? I have heard of guys that will fashion a tip by bending a "regular" guide and wrapping it on as a tip guide. Has anyone done this ? Got pics ?

Thanks

A 25 gathering guide is more than plenty. The biggest trigger seat Fuji makes is a #22, and as lond as it fits the blank, going bigger won't give you any more strength. As for the tip, Probably a BULT, but why a #16? Seems pretty big for a conventional. a #12 would be fine. Maybe even do away with the third #16 guide and stick a #12 there.

KML,

Trigger real seat on that rod isnt a good idea. youre hand will be so sore from being spread open, it aint worth it. that rod takes a #24 reel seat. I would go with heavier guides for the simple reason that if you dont, the rod will feel VERY STIFF... If not, go with BNLG's 25 is good, 20, 20, and the rest 16's. Also the tip is a 20. its impossible to find a 16 ring. I usually have to use a 20/12, which kinda sucks, cuzz I like using all 16's, but then I use 3 12's as my last 3 guides, so it dont look silly...

lemme know how you do!

BC

BC, heavier guides like heavy boat guides ?

Which ones ?

And Mudhole has the BPLT top listed in a 20 tube with a 12,14,16,18,and 18/64 ring. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

I thought the 16 would be better to pass a bulky knot through.

Thanks

BC got me building a GSB1362MH right now!

I'm using a Fuji Heavy Duty Graphite DPSH 24-.859" ID reel seat.

For the tip I'm using a Fuji UST 12-16 ring 12 tube 16 SIC

Guides:

4- Fuji HNSG 12 -SIC

2- Fuji HNSG 16 -SIC

1- Fuji HNSG 20 -SIC

Unless BC or someone else can tell me that I have (and Why) made a mistake ,I'm gonna wrap these on my blank.The line seems to follow the curve of the blank well under differant stress tests- I put them on with tape and cast tested- no line slap- seemed to cast fine (but what do I know)!?

all guides on the top part of the blank only.

Reel Seat at 31 inches from bottom ( i have long arms)

BC..... any comments or suggestions?

BC got me building a GSB1362MH right now!

I'm using a Fuji Heavy Duty Graphite DPSH 24-.859" ID reel seat.

For the tip I'm using a Fuji UST 12-16 ring 12 tube 16 SIC

Guides:

4- Fuji HNSG 12 -SIC

2- Fuji HNSG 16 -SIC

1- Fuji HNSG 20 -SIC

Unless BC or someone else can tell me that I have (and Why) made a mistake ,I'm gonna wrap these on my blank.The line seems to follow the curve of the blank well under differant stress tests- I put them on with tape and cast tested- no line slap- seemed to cast fine (but what do I know)!?

all guides on the top part of the blank only.

Reel Seat at 31 inches from bottom ( i have long arms)

BC..... any comments or suggestions?

Cepholis wink.gif , I wouldn't use the Heavy Duty seat or the heavy guides. The HD seat has large collars that are uncomfortable and don't add any durabiltiy. As for the guides- I prefer the NSGs. I've heard the theories about adding heavier guides to "soften" (I've even heard the term "preload") a blank is counter to optimal performance, though you'll see little difference, positive or negative on a 1362MH. It's kinda like adding bags of sand to the back of your car to make it ride smoother.

KML - a 20-18 top is a 20MM ring with a 18/64th I.D. tube. The standard measure of tube size is in 64th's of an inch.

Thanks Oz. But I do not understand why thay list a 20-18 and a 20-18/64 as two separate items ?

What do I do for a tip on this rod if I want a ring bigger than a 12 and the tube is listed as a 20 ?

Cephalopholis did you try out that UST 12-16 ?

Did it fit ? If it did I think that we are not talking about the same blank. The thing I have is a beast, way bigger than a 12 tip.

KML...You should check that tube size again...?

In the catalog it says it is a size 16...

I got lucky and a 16 fit...it's the ring size that is a 12.To be on the safe side You should probably try getting a size 18 tube(UST12-18 Ring -12 Tube -18) and, if its a little big, underwrap with some thread to fill in the gap. My rod is a monster as well- i'm sure we got the same one!I think your gonna be outta luck trying to get a larger ring size for that tip than a 12 (at least with the SIC guides.

I ended up getting the HNSG guides because I have a lami surfking and it uses the NSG rings (i think).I also want this stick strictly for mosters! I would have liked to have gotton a size 25 HNSG but, they don't make 'em. I don't see the HNSG guides as too much for this rod, especially since I use so few....IMHO.

OZ...I have big hands and the seat just doesn't bother me. I don't really hold or touch it while fishing (long fingers).I like the fact that it's short.It also is about the only choice you have if you want an all graphite (no aluminum bands), Fuji, with an inside diameter of 24mm!

BC Is the man to talk to about building this rod....BC where are you?

Ceph,

If you like it, that's all that counts. I read the post where you asked for opinions on the HD 24. BC told you can get a HD seat in black or silver. The only Fuji seat that comes in black is the economy Fuji seat- DPSM. The seat I would recomend is the DPSD. The hood covers are there to add support to the graphite without weight. The DPSD has a metal ring in the nut also (like an HD seat) which prevents the nut from breaking or gettting out of round. Seat failure is a pain in the butt to repair. I would also check the reel you intend to use on the seat before you mount it. Certain reel feet are too short for 24 seats. Most reel seats are too long for their specific application. I shorten most reel seats before I mount them.

KML, Think you got it backwards. first number is the ring, second is the tube size. The 18-64ths thing was a typo. Looks like you were looking at one of the online retailers catalogs. I hope you're looking there for info and not buying supplies there. I've tried a few times and have always had a problem. I have also used a BHNNT top on those rods an like them a lot (12 ring still the biggest)

Use the smallest reel seat that will fit the rod where you want it. I would think somewhere about 26 to 28 incjes but that's up to you.

I'm assuming you will be using a reel the size of an ABU 7000 or 7500.

Use a BSVLG 30 for the gathering guide. Drop to a BSVLG20. Then a BNLG 20. Then go 2 16 and 2 12. I guess I would use a fuji SIC PST 12 or 16 ring ( a 16 ring matches fairly well with a last 12 guide sometimes. Put the BSVLG 30 way out , like 36 or more from the reel.