FishBurglar

A fly a day

Rate this topic

5,302 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, Mallard1100 said:

Just started tying yesterday. Very satisfying and I haven’t even caught a fish on them yet. lol. I regret not starting sooner but dove in after following this thread and seeing everyone’s amazing work. Thanks guys. 

How cool!  You'll see some real talent and expertise on this board - it's really helped me in getting better at my tying.  Your flies look great!

On 12/26/2021 at 9:06 PM, marchese12 said:

It must be winter... and the endless urge to tie... "CRI Fly" Candy Rattled Inverted

IMG_8111.jpeg

IMG_8108.jpeg

That is a great looking fly.

Quick question, does the air in the rattle affect the way the fly rides in the water? 

15 hours ago, DAQ said:

That is a great looking fly.

Quick question, does the air in the rattle affect the way the fly rides in the water? 

No, the rattle in fact makes the fly more negative. 

14 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Did acouple this morning so I can say I tied some this year , P1010007.JPG.f91c465fefb259440d5f9822c008d89f.JPGP1010013.JPG.83a18a2462284dfe08d8cd8e4329f4bc.JPGP1010009.JPG.a3408fe62e9c02d57ab7c80449ae49cf.JPG

Hey man, I’m so sorry but I’ve owed you this pic for awhile. I once spoke about using the end of a feather’s quill to create a cased cassis’ case and you were interested in it, so here it is, albeit, quite late. Just a turkey wing feather quill with a lighter hitting it for a few seconds. You can take a marker to color it as you like, and I just tie a body of dubbing before splitting the bottom part of the quill and glueing it right onto the hook. It’s easier done than said, but I hope this is useful to you. 

26D79AFD-3B1D-4F9D-B94C-10978C289366.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

Hey man, I’m so sorry but I’ve owed you this pic for awhile. I once spoke about using the end of a feather’s quill to create a cased cassis’ case and you were interested in it, so here it is, albeit, quite late. Just a turkey wing feather quill with a lighter hitting it for a few seconds. You can take a marker to color it as you like, and I just tie a body of dubbing before splitting the bottom part of the quill and glueing it right onto the hook. It’s easier done than said, but I hope this is useful to you. 

26D79AFD-3B1D-4F9D-B94C-10978C289366.jpeg

I Had to put on my thinking cap for this one , I see what you what you were talking about now. I'll have see what I have for quills and come up with something . Thanks for getting back to me .

6 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I Had to put on my thinking cap for this one , I see what you what you were talking about now. I'll have see what I have for quills and come up with something . Thanks for getting back to me .

Hopefully it works out for you, as it’s a super easy way to make a cased caddies. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Went out for a while lost a few flies to unseen wood so time for bend backs .  Some BTS aka Dicks Delight  a few Fickymins and some Hook 1's . All tied on #10 3x long bendback hooks . P1070006.JPG.9d150a88ecf2556ba9893b0228737f86.JPG

On 12/27/2021 at 7:42 AM, Drew C. said:

My first attempts at some tarpon toads. I'm substituting possum for rabbit.

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

The general consensus is that the fur side faces down. A tarpon is looking up for food. 

I tie them and have caught fish using them tied fur side up and down so I am not convinced that it matters. 

On a difficult fish that gets pressured it might. 

I like lime because it is visible in the water. 

And I love those hooks. 

EP Brush used on the head of these two flys. The tail of both are Hollow tie then 360° of saddles with flash. The top fly had the EP Brush wrapped with close winds (short shank) the other more of an open wind for a minnow shape on a regular shank.

1641599113477.jpg