FishBurglar

A fly a day

Rate this topic

5,302 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, HillTop said:

1. First thing I'd do is use a back material that gives you contrast.    A white background with a white fly doesn't cut it.    
  2. Double check your photo/cell phone lens.  It's amazing how many people take photos of detailed items, like flies, and leave a finger smuge by your fingers on the lens.
  3. Most photos you photo with your cell phone gives you the option to change more photo contrast and allow you to change saturation and highlights before you send them to SOL.   Don't go crazy with that but it can make a better photo.
  4. Photo options for your cell phone will also let you use sharpen the photo if it's a little blur (go back to No 2).  It helps if not over done.

HT

I use my Samsung tablet for all photos of flies I post and I've never fiddled with it (too technical for me!) but of course I make sure that the lens is clean. For me, background color is also #1. It's amazing how the wrong background color sometimes changes the colors of the fly materials.

I'm lucky in that  have a few series of boxed records of classical music and I use the backs of these boxes  for background. I have maybe 25 color shades to choose from but, after experimenting, I now use mostly two or three. But what I do is take two (sometimes three)  pictures of each fly with different background color and then post the one I prefer. 

On 12/18/2021 at 6:28 PM, HillTop said:

1. First thing I'd do is use a back material that gives you contrast.    A white background with a white fly doesn't cut it.    
  2. Double check your photo/cell phone lens.  It's amazing how many people take photos of detailed items, like flies, and leave a finger smuge by your fingers on the lens.
  3. Most photos you photo with your cell phone gives you the option to change more photo contrast and allow you to change saturation and highlights before you send them to SOL.   Don't go crazy with that but it can make a better photo.
  4. Photo options for your cell phone will also let you use sharpen the photo if it's a little blur (go back to No 2).  It helps if not over done.

HT

Thanks for the help 

I will give the recommendations a try 

Just started tying yesterday. Very satisfying and I haven’t even caught a fish on them yet. lol. I regret not starting sooner but dove in after following this thread and seeing everyone’s amazing work. Thanks guys. 

53827011-C358-4496-A66B-597827DE5FBA.jpeg

0165AF44-8429-465B-85B0-9E2241D9EE07.jpeg

CB852FA6-A269-4223-A6BA-87BD9494097D.jpeg

Been tying up some Hook 1's . Original is Yellow over Pink over White with a silver body . I tied a couple with silver pearl and gold bodies , The two on the magnet was of my thoughts on a variant . This I tied yellow over lavender over yellow with a pink body. Pics don't do the colours justice though. PC220006.JPG.c1917d7bd43114b2820442658e447ec1.JPGPC220007.JPG.870b7d328f02daa5c4cc02cba24a3012.JPG

I've tied at least one fly on this day since 1963 . This pattern I've been using since 74 for Brook trout , I've been thinking about doing some iceout trolling so I tied this on a #2 hook . Wish calf tails had longer hair had to use bucktail. I dunno just doesn't have the same appeal to me . Either way got the fly outta the way . 

Thanks Sis.PC250007.JPG.4d19bb8733ef3c36c8c2e231a8f1862f.JPG

48 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

I've tied at least one fly on this day since 1963 . This pattern I've been using since 74 for Brook trout , I've been thinking about doing some iceout trolling so I tied this on a #2 hook . Wish calf tails had longer hair had to use bucktail. I dunno just doesn't have the same appeal to me . Either way got the fly outta the way . 

I don’t have any Blue or Aqua BT , it really looks great . Thanks for sharing 

5 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Shades of the Silver Doctor streamer that was one of my favorite bright day flies when I began flyfishing for brookies in the early 60's. A few years ago, I decided to tie a few of these "classics" (including Dark Montreal, Parmachene Belle, Royal Coachman) streamer style and some of them flatwing style, like this one.

20211225_112805.jpg.3a220cae4c0231bd806640b33dddfa28.jpg

And I also adapted these classics as mini muddlers like this Silver Doctor mini muddler.

20200425_090249.jpg.55bc67c60d1d7931749d453a7f12f402.jpg