A fly a day

Rate this topic

FishBurglar

On 11/8/2020 at 9:56 AM, Ftyer said:

Those are slick and I have always enjoyed fishing cased caddis. Not sure if you’ve seen this method before, but burning the end of a feather quill and gluing it over and underbody of dubbing or chenille makes a pretty nice case too. 

Do happen to have any of these flies on hand ? If you do could you snap a pic or two ? I kinda like the sounds of it . I seen some pretty big caddis a while back ( well over an inch ) that something like you've described would fit the bill. 

6 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Do happen to have any of these flies on hand ? If you do could you snap a pic or two ? I kinda like the sounds of it . I seen some pretty big caddis a while back ( well over an inch ) that something like you've described would fit the bill. 

This week has been insane for me with work...give me into the weekend and I’ll find or just tie one up and report back. 

5 hours ago, Ftyer said:

This week has been insane for me with work...give me into the weekend and I’ll find or just tie one up and report back. 

No rush . I ran into some tiny nymphs this morning I think are blackflies . I'm going to spend some time imitating those . I'll thumb through a few books to see if I can find an imitation first . Like I said no rush on the fly . I more or less just wanna keep busy .

A bunch of baitfish-type flies tied for a friend. Top: Bart-O Minnows (modified). Bottom: Kinky Muddlers. Save for the red "splash" (rabbit hair) on the Bart-O's, same materials used for both. But because of different tying methods for the SF Flash Blend used for the front body-head i.e. hi-ties for the Bart-O's and v-ties for the KM's (save for the last ties at the hook eye that are hi-ties). you end up with different profiles: narrower for the Bart-O's and wider for the KM's. On Mustad C70S #1 or  2/0 hooks, about 3.5" to 4.5" long20201113_123722.jpg.d7349e50ab01ab4a98b9e1e4a19350be.jpg20201113_124150.jpg.230623569b7a218c7f0452f5ae2ac4d0.jpg

Fun to tie if you are using the right Flash Blend as the texture of this material varies throughout its wide range of colors. Crinkled and soft fibers ( luckily as are the white, chartreuse, olive, yellow, sea blue. herring back) work well but not so other colors (like off white, silver belly white, pink, dark green) that  have straighter and somewhat stiff fibers.

On 11/8/2020 at 5:40 AM, KidDkivahh said:

Finally got some time to tie up some more cased Caddis . I was going to collect some fine pebbles and grit from the river to tie some the way I used to. I don't if I want to go through the trouble I like the look of the burnt estaz and sparkle chenille . 

PB080008.JPG

PB080010.JPG

PB080009.JPG

I did find some time tonight to read up on Cased Caddis Larva ( Gary LaFontaine ) I'm going to try & follow up on yours  thanks for sharing 

Edited by Hook I

If it has fins i want to catch it 

Well youtube yielded but one Back fly pattern . I checked LaFontaine's trout flies book and found his version . Turns out the both flies were the same .  Turns out my Feather cased Caddis is nearly identical too . Didn't spend a lot of time with the book but I do like the Dancing Caddis in it . I hope to get at the vice real soon .PB150026.JPG.0ac78ea5adc5a4142553895c62ab8fa9.JPGPB150025.JPG.2a87e6f03b7f9caade6d3ae038b87f47.JPGPB150028.JPG.331198f12df5b8afbbf1ba54f429fc26.JPG

A couple more for the box.

Just need to add the stick on eyes to the cones and cover them with uv cure so they don’t come off.

Quick question on these cross eye cones.

Does anyone have a technique they use to stop these types cone from spinning, which puts the eyes in the wrong location.

I’ve been adding clear mono thread in front of the cone to snug it up to the dubbed orange throat. Similar to what you do when using Fish Masks.

Any other techniques or suggestion to consider?

SF

BF5F8581-9C91-4879-AD89-865B43C84714.jpeg

7 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I should be happy I got to tie at all with the Kitty .Relooking at LaFontaine's Blackfly I should've done it his way . Not all that thrilled with the Dancing caddis either . No way I'm using white thread on the Black fly I'll get a white permanent mark before I try getting thread thru those tiny eyes . 

PB170001.JPG

PB150029.JPG

The 1st paragraph reminds me a few years ago on a Ketchikan stream =  Steelhead , I finally was able to see a large one , when a guy pops up out of the pool with a wet suit on & underwater camera , blows up the whole stream for about a mile in each direction :banghd:

If it has fins i want to catch it 

6 hours ago, Hook I said:

The 1st paragraph reminds me a few years ago on a Ketchikan stream =  Steelhead , I finally was able to see a large one , when a guy pops up out of the pool with a wet suit on & underwater camera , blows up the whole stream for about a mile in each direction :banghd:

Ouch . The guy's lucky I know a couple places a stunt like that would earn him a good tune up.

One more sandeel for the coming months, stripers love em. A Clouser Half/Half tyed with white and lite pastel blue, white saddles, flash, pink marabou cheeks and Squimpish hair in Sparkle Blue and Bronze (which is really reddish color?) and peacock herl. 2/0 fake 34007.

20201118_162150_20201118200038552.jpg

Edited by saltyh2ofly