FishBurglar

A fly a day

Rate this topic

4,237 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, Bjorn240 said:

Trip to the LFFS yielded some light blue Bucktail.  Need to tie in a little tighter to get more curve on the top maybe. 

3BD7D150-252A-4040-AF30-6897540246DE.jpeg

Looks good from here. If you go “tighter” it would flare out more. 

Yours looks right.

17 hours ago, Bjorn240 said:

Trip to the LFFS yielded some light blue Bucktail.  Need to tie in a little tighter to get more curve on the top maybe. 

3BD7D150-252A-4040-AF30-6897540246DE.jpeg

As said, tying it "tighter" likely won't achieve what you're looking for...what you want to do is introduce taper into the bunch of hair prior to tying it in. This will have it so that the hairs towards the tail are slightly longer than those towards the mid section of the fly. The best way to lightly introduce taper is by grabbing the bunch of fibers in your index and thumb and then pulling your index towards your thumb ever-so-slightly. This should leave the longer fibers towards the bottom of the bunch and the shorter fibers towards the ends of the bucktail. It's something that's easier done than described, so hopefully my words make sense/are helpful. Nonetheless, you tied a good, effective fly there even without doing what I said.

2 mins ago, Ftyer said:

The best way to lightly introduce taper is by grabbing the bunch of fibers in your index and thumb and then pulling your index towards your thumb ever-so-slightly. This should leave the longer fibers towards the bottom of the bunch and the shorter fibers towards the ends of the bucktail. 

Thanks, that is -fantastic-!   Will try it a few times this evening after work.

Another deceiver, wet this time to check the profile.  Too much head on this fly but I did manage the technique to slide the hairs between my fingers to get a bit more of a mohawk, with the shorter hairs in front.   Appreciate all the help guys.   Going to try this one on fish Wednesday am. 

343A7376-B704-4F2D-BAF2-7AA0AABCF9A6.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bjorn240 said:

Another deceiver, wet this time to check the profile.  Too much head on this fly but I did manage the technique to slide the hairs between my fingers to get a bit more of a mohawk, with the shorter hairs in front.   Appreciate all the help guys.   Going to try this one on fish Wednesday am. 

Nice fly!

You might find that the profile of the fly is quite different in the water, because the water sits in between the various hairs and feathers to create the appearance of volume.

20 hours ago, Bjorn240 said:

343A7376-B704-4F2D-BAF2-7AA0AABCF9A6.jpeg

wet does not "show profile" only what it looks like when you pull it out of the water,once in the water all the materials flare more widely,it will NOT be tapered so tightly as when it is wet and out of the water,partially fill your sink and drop it in,that's what it will look like

Yesterday around 4.00 in the afternoon I had found like 8 different ant swarms around my yard. They were for the most part in the size 18 to 16 range but had a few larger and smaller . I did tie up a couple just because I felt like it . P9250004.JPG.12125ad5e38d75fb2e4a18eb2475ce8a.JPGP9250008.JPG.e9704eea93e06caabb5160a29e9b63b6.JPGP9260006.JPG.0a7fd6cb4236bbe91ac0c601641930d2.JPG

A simple but quite effective single-feather flatwing, the Rhody Flatwing (tied as described by Steve Culton). On an EC 253 #1/0 hook, about 4" long. This fly was good for me during my recent striper fishing in Baie-des-Chaleurs.20200926_130118.jpg.0db7005c6455a62cc3f460a551369b47.jpg

Edited by Suave
Typo

Never tied (or glued) one of these before.   Don't have the hot glue setup or Estaz so I spun up some craft store Firestar fibers and brought out the UV jewelry resin and put one together that way.     Resin is pretty durable stuff and especially when imbedded in the fiber and may just do some more this way and skip getting a hot glue gun setup all together.

HT

albiewhore.jpg.95123fc11a54f927a2debf93c0a6127c.jpg

9 hours ago, HillTop said:

Never tied (or glued) one of these before.   Don't have the hot glue setup or Estaz so I spun up some craft store Firestar fibers and brought out the UV jewelry resin and put one together that way.     Resin is pretty durable stuff and especially when imbedded in the fiber and may just do some more this way and skip getting a hot glue gun setup all together.

HT

albiewhore.jpg.95123fc11a54f927a2debf93c0a6127c.jpg

Looks great. Hard to tell by the photo if you did, but glueing the lateral flash to just beyond the hook bend keeps it and the hackles from fouling.