FishBurglar

A fly a day

Rate this topic

3,042 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Nice fly.

My go-to all around color combination...Can't go wrong with that...How do you compare congo hair vs EP fibers ?

Cheers

Thanks man. I’ve never actually used the EP stuff, but when I was at the fly shop I compared the two in hand and was convinced of the Congo hair’s quality. For 3 bucks a pack it’s worth a shot. 

alewive.jpg.e64ca0b9a75944259a768fb12f291262.jpgCouple of weekend creations.  The purple and olive guy is my flats fly for the mud- new version of the seaducer with Puglesi brushes with the micro sili legs.  The other is an alewive pattern using the Puglei 4.5 invader brush- stuff is awesome.5cc83f76ebe03_flatsbug.jpg.f499e12efeb0fcfa42a1dcf5a206f13d.jpg

Striper bugger will do good for sure! 

Hoping to connect with my first keeper this season so been tying larger flies. This flatwing is 11" to the hackle tips, flashabou goes a touch beyond that. Despite the fact that I clash lot with the philosophy some flatwing guys take, I just cannot deny how good they look. I love tying them. 

IMG_20190506_174538306.jpg.bb4864714558644c99ffa9ff4d1ac4cf.jpg

Indeed Salty  and Titleguy, whenever I fish for stripers the last hour before darkness (which, being more a morning guy, doesn't happen often) I put on a classic 3-4" black woolly bugger and it does the job and a good one at that Also good when it's a dark, overcast rainy day.

messing around with MFC rabbit dubbing brush this morning- variation on my seaducer theme.  I will be swinging this on my 7 wt spey tonight on an outgoing for the first striper trip of the year.

bunny fly.jpg

Fooling around with some Devlin blends.  I've tried to mimic what I do with SF blends, but it doesn't really work - these have much more body than the SF.  In any event, my guess is that these will get eaten, but might be annoying to cast.  They sure will move water though.

1ROvZYngQPuouFL73z2Gug.jpg.602e0eaac80c72825025feee0eb427e8.jpg

20 hours ago, JCH said:

Fooling around with some Devlin blends.  I've tried to mimic what I do with SF blends, but it doesn't really work - these have much more body than the SF.  In any event, my guess is that these will get eaten, but might be annoying to cast.  They sure will move water though.

1ROvZYngQPuouFL73z2Gug.jpg.602e0eaac80c72825025feee0eb427e8.jpg

May have to use less - so it's almost transparent (or partially see thru).  Issue I sometimes have with Congo hair is using too much.