FishBurglar

A fly a day

Rate this topic

4,493 posts in this topic

Going with this Siliclone on a bendback hook. Has an over coat of Liquid Fusion but the silicone is an integral part of the build: it's more durable and holds structure well.

You'll miss and lose a lot of fish w/ the shank bent like that.Those hooks they use for soft plastics like sluggos,the extra-wide gap ones(sometimes even have some weight on the shank)?Try the same fly on one of those.Even more weedless and awesome hookup ratio!

You mean a worm hook? The straight shank is small on those. When I've tied on those before I have to add a mono extension inside the gap. Any ideas on how to make that work with a Siliclone?

Clousers

All right, Penetration Hook Co. makes keel hooks and longbody hooks which might work. Anyone ever deal with this company and want to offer opinion or insight on their products?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlukeM View Post

All right, Penetration Hook Co. makes keel hooks and longbody hooks which might work. Anyone ever deal with this company and want to offer opinion or insight on their products?

I don't know anything about the Hook Co. But it has to be an improvement over how your present method of tying a bend back is. You did an awesome job of tying it but it looks to be more of a fish guard as well as a weed guard. I've never tried tying a bend back Siliclone but with the hook you used I'd tie it straighter in the body ( yours appears to angled quite a bit ) and maybe bend some of the angle out of the hook so it sticks up above the body. Also you could try trimming  the body with a little less on top and more on the bottom to get more of the hook exposed. I hope you get it sorted out it's a great idea and definitely would be a good fish catcher.

Fluke I think what your doing is fine just don't bend the hook nearly as much and leave the outter surface of the head soft and flexible to allow the hook to find it's mark. Basically with the fusion and bend you have closed out the gap of the hook.

[img=Fluke do you mean the foils , I have noticed that as well. You can cut out the white backing that's left once you remove the foil and use it around the edges as you stated to squeeze out 2 more I think. Or you can buy a whole roll of ribbon at wallmart , craft store, dollar stores, Christmas stores with wrapping paper ribbon foil ect . I been using ribbon foil for years on surf candies and sand eel flies. Today I tried one on the bend backs using the resin only along the sides covering the foil and underneath with just a touch around the thread at the hook eye. I have had this roll since the early 90's and it seems to be endless having done a countless amount of flies with it.

PLAIN SILVER MIRROR FOIL1000

That looks absolutely IDENTICAL just wrapped differently around the spool. Just be care taking off what you need or it gets all creased and crinkled. It wont matter to the fish either way.. YES I COVER WITH EPOXY OR RESIN..I don't think it will hold up without.

One thing I want to point out.. THE BOB POPOVICS FLEYE FOILS ARE ACTUALLY EASIER TO ATTACH AND MUCH FASTER.. You have to remember that using this foil needs to be cut, notched out on the end making little tabs sticking out for tying in and because its not sticky on the back side , it wont lay on the side of the hook as flat .. They take a little practice to get used to... The biggest reason I still use the silver foils is they are dirt cheap and IN THE PAST HAVE DESTROYED THE ALBIES AT TIMES OUT FISHING OTHER GUYS AND FLIES by a wide margin. I firmly believe just the flickering you will see makes all the difference in comparison to other flies. Watch what you see when bay anchovies and spearing are present. You will without question notice the flashing of there belly amongst the schools. 1796239