Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJPonticel

decals

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Al, I would like to put a decal on a rod I just bought. Is there any thing special I should do to the blank before hand? May I use flex coat to cover the decal? Any help would be great. Thanks

First trim the decal with a sharp pairs of scissors leaving about a 1/8 inch border.

Gently sand the area of the blank where the decal will go with 600 grit paer or a scuff pad and clean the area with alcohol and a paper towel.

Remove the backing and apply the decal being careful to press out any air pockets. Gently use your thumb to smooth out the decal and tightly press down on the edges.

Let the decal rest for about an hour. Periodically check to see that the edges did not curl up. If they did curl up then flatten them back down.

Apply a very thin coat of finish to the decal coming approximately 1/4 inch beyond each edge. squeeze out the finish from the brush and use the dry brush to wick off the finish. Do this several times until the decal is just sticky to the touch.

As the rod is turning moisten a paper towel with alcohol and clean up the edges of the finish so they are straight.

Let dry overnight and give it a second coat of finish.

See my previous threads on finishing steps.

Al