Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Cod Jig Rods, Seeker CJB80H vs. Lami C6909

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Greetings AL:

Just curious???? What is the difference in performance between the Seeker CJB 80H cut to a 12 tip and the Lami6909 to a 14 tip??? Which do you prefer? Also did I look at the C6909 Lami on the snowy day I visited??? I remember seeing a 14 tip rod that was a real War Club! The Seeker looked to me to be the sleeper! This rod was light wt, moderately priced and loaded very quickly. Rods like this have tremendous power even though they don't look like it.

Just thinking about jiggin Cod has my juices flowing! Got weathered out on the Yankee Patriot last week. The boat only got out once this season and the fishing has been "Silly"!

Prefessa, I just picked up a Loomis cod rod, broke it in real good last week too! It's sweet, I matched a trinidad 20 to it and you can move a house with it, yet cast a pound of lead all day and not get too whooped!

Joe,

The C6909 you saw was cut to a 16 tip. A 14 tip would be better. It is similar in performance to the Seeker you mentioned.

The Seeker composites have been experiencing serious quality control problems lately, so I would go with the Lami. I have them in stock so feel free to dip in along with the other needed components.

Al

Al:

Once again... Thanks for your guidance. I am building a Lami SB 108 1L for my good friend Dave Lugoff in CT. When I am done I will Check in to see we could do breakfast or lunch at that same Diner near the Sawmill and so I could show you my work. Last time I came up I had a blast. The weather on the other hand frown.gif I didn't think I was going to make it up that hill!

As for the cod stick... Would a Newell 440 be more appropriate for the CB6909??? Once Trimmed the blank would most likely weigh in at 11 ounces or so. The finished stick~16 oz

Could that stick be make a tad longer than 7'6"? I seem to like a rod just under 8 ft with say 7'8" to 7'10" being optimum for my body depending on how much glass is needed in the butt to get supreme balance. At 17" of glass in the butt 7'8" is great 18" 7'9" and so on. My war club is 8 ft long but sports 20" of glass on the Butt to balance it!

Mike P: Da Wife and I had another girl. Mom had a rough time. I am glad that I got weathered as she was not quite 100% three weeks later! Did you go on the Helen H??? BTW, The Big Fish is up to $1140/trip. The Patriot is now $42. Same grounds. They only got out once this season so far. Fishing is borderline Silly! Lots of fish on the banks this year! Fishin should hold up all summer! The banks should see a commercial quota by the end of May.

[This message has been edited by Prefessa (edited 04-03-2001).]

Congrats!!! My boys are great, but my little girl is something special! I hope all is okay now with Mom and all! I did get up on the Helen again, it was a slow day by their standards but I still got more cod than I know what to do with. Had to be in the bow and work hard all day, early on it was a stiff 25kts against the tide, laster on it was the same wind with the tide, drifting way to fast to correctly work the bottom out there. Perhaps one of your next trip up that way we'll meet, your boat is a bargain by any standard! I just got my credit card statement the night we got back from Hyannis only to find that I was charged for not showing up for the trip the day after the Noreaster the begining of last month. I guess I can't blame the captain though, the rules is the rules!

Michael:

Another great reason to try the Patriot.... The Month of April you are not penalized for cancling your trip due to iffy weather. They realize that if you are not local, you do not want to make the trip for a remote chance of sailing. Normally 24 hours notice is all that is needed to keep you from being penalized. Also, If you cancel less than 24 hrs notice and your spot is filled by a walk on they do not penalize you! From May on the boat leaves railed daily!

I would love to see you Tim and Dubs up there sometime. Tim will especially like the announcement Cap't Phil Hoysradt makes before you leave the dock... The one about the folks who will be waiting for you at the dock if you insist of trying to keep short codfish! Have to convince those boys to make a side trip for "Eatin' Fish" after they terrorize the striped bass at the Ditch.

Joe,

The Newell 440 is perfect. That's what i used when I fished out of Kennebunkport on the Indian years ago.

The C6909 trimmed to a 14 tip will probably leave plenty of blank left to achieve the length you desire.

Let me know when it's good for you to pass through and we can set up a time.

Al

T..

That would be Gloucester Mass. The Yankee fleet has several boats. The patriot is a 65 ft wooden tub. Not fast, Not glamorous, but, they consistently catch Cod. If you would like more comfort, they also run the Yankee Pride and The Yankee Clipper on weekends. These are 75-85 ft supercruser boats. The patriot is like home to me... The same steady clientele year after year. It's like "Cheers" the place where everybody know's your name!

For Reservations you can call 1(800) 942-5464

Michael P.

Could I ask whick Loomis rod you picked up for cod fishing? Did you build it or buy factory? I build alot on Loomis blanks & was wondering what would be a good combo for jigging cod. I'll be in Hyannis on April 28, 29 & 30 so maybe I can put one together by then. Thanks.

Capt. Mike,

The rod is an off the shelf model:

swr102-40c

8'6" Heavy

Med Action

25-40#

It was a dream to jig with, plenty of backbone and light as a feather.

I went through a phase where I built everything I fished with, still my normal go-to rods are ones I built but I just don't have the time or space to do it right now. Someday I'l get back into it though, now I just spend too much on stuff I could make much better myself!

Good luck!

Mike