Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bdsandman

Mixing brands of epoxy?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'm finishing up a Patriot 957. I've got two light coats of Flexcoat HB epoxy on it now. Problem is I'm just about out of Flexcoat and because I want to experiment with other brands I don't want to buy more Flexcoat right now. Question is... Can I put my final coat on using another brand? I have some LS Supreme coming and a sample pack of the Amtak epoxy Mike T has been using (and is very happy with) he gave me to try. Is there any kind of problem associated with mixing different brands?

Thanks for you help!

I guess the answere is that there may be a problem. There may not be. To me , its not worth the risk. There may be adhesion problems or there may be a problem with one being more flexible than the other. This could cause problems dow the line. If you already have two coats and being "just about out" I assume you have a little flexcoat left , put another light coat on and call it done. I would rather take my chances with a little light coverage than with the possibility the last coat might crack up and peel cause of some mismatch. If you use a diffent epoxy , it will cover well and look fine , what you don't know is how it will last with time and use and days in the hot car , etc.

If you wait 7-8 days since the last coat, the epoxy ought to be completely cured, lightly sand with 400 or 600 Wet/Dry and it will be fine.

Your mileage may vary,

gad