Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Butt length for surf spinner.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Is there any real formula to this or mostly guesswork. I know of one custom builder that asks for all kinds of measurements like height, weight, sleeve length, even shoe size.

What do they do with this information to calculate the butt length of the rod?

Or is it just to impress and they just put all the reel seats at 23" wink.gif

What do you guys do ?

I just went through this for the first time. BEst thing you can do is to wrap a Plate seat about where you think it should go. Tape the guides in semi- place, and go make some light casts. Immediately, you'll know whether the seat is in the right place. 1-2" make a difference.

FOr other people's rods, if they have one they reall are comfortable with, ask them the length, and go from there. Measurements are great, but some people like shorter longer grips - a variable you cannot enter into a formula.

My opinion, I've only done it once.

What Billy said icon14.gif I have built surf rods for a couple different people and everyone liked something different..Best thing to do is figure out what works best for you and go with that..

------------------

SOL#2002

There are some rules of "thumb" that can be used but everyone is right when they say it varies a lot bewteen people and applications.

the rule of thumb is that you put the butt under your arm pit. With the arm slightly bent , measure to the tip of your thumb. that's a starting place for a conventional. Subtract 2 inches for a spinner.

what i have seen is that shorter rods require shorter butts than this rule generates. Long casting rods and heavers require more. especially conventionals. A beach rod can get away with more but length and therefore better casting distance than a rod to be used while perched on a 1 foot diametr rock. Bset thing is to compare to another rod you like. If you have nbo idea , its best to get together with the builder for a "fitting"

After you find the slight bent elbow to arm pit distance: is this location to the center of the reel seat, bottom of reel seat, OR top of reel seat?

------------------

Ray 'md2020'

One thing people tend to forget is clothing. A butt length that feels comfortable in a shop or casting with a T-shirt might be too long with a jacket, waders, sweatshirt on. My suggestion when trying to find the butt length is to wear what you are going to fish with. Might seem lika pain in the rear, but might make the difference when the rod is done and you fish it then realize it is a little too long.

Billy