Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew Robinson

Newbie Epoxy adventure

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Well I got my two rods wrapped, they looked good and then I bought my drying motors and did my epoxy, flex coat lite, no CP. the first night I used a 30rpm dryer and I could not find a little brush so I used a little gray foam brush Like you use for painting. I am going to Hatteras on friday and need the rods so I used what I had. the foam actually worked pretty well. It made it hard to get alot of epoxy on but I coated every thing went back over it a couple of times and let it dry and it looked good but a very light coat. - no real bubbles. The next night I was doing my better rod so i bought some brushes and went to it. I heated up the epoxy but I had to do a few things before I mixed it.(mistake) I went to apply it thinking 'kind of thick' becuase my previous rod was real thin. It was like 65 in my house and things got messy real quick, i used a little painting brush, and it sucked. The hairs keep getting pulled out by the epoxy. I got too much on and then the bubbles were horrible. Keep playing with it (big Mistake) and the next morning it looked like a globe of sandpaper with thousands of tiny bubbles and some big ones. I tryed heat and a straw to pop them before it dryed but the epoxy was too thick. My guess is the 2 parts were too cool before i mixed them. well Yesterday I read all about bubbles from searches on this site and rod building org. I found out that most brushes leave bubbles and use a painting spatula or somthing like that and the hands off approach works best. I bought some 800 grit sand paper and tried to smooth the ripples and bubbles out to do another coat. Got every thing nice and warm, including my house and got a plastic thing to applicate. used the 6rpm motor. I put the epoxy on foil after mixing. Ended up scrapping the plastic applicator and using the hardened brush from the night before i partially cleaned. I liked the way it worked. I worked quick and put the epoxy on then smoothed it for 10-15 second just making sure to cover everything. then I left it alone. I tryed to pop any bubbles with a butane torch. but other than that just let it dry and settle, like suggested. the second coat actually looks pretty good. not prefectly smooth but considering what I started with it looks ok. good enough to show people even though I have to explain it being my first time and all. I still need to do one more coat on the first rod where I used the foam brush. I was thinking about useing one again as it put on a barely wet coat that I like, but I am a little shy because all the bubbles with the brush really was a bummer. I will figure it out one of these day. Tight lines. Matt.

Matt,

I also found out thte hard way that heating the epoxy after mixing actually causes it to set up quicker than anticipated. Something like trying to sooth out gum over the wraps. redface.gif