Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mick83

Lami S glass spinner

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

For some reason, I am intrigued by the possibility of having a spinning rod built on an S glass blank, specifically the Lamiglass SMB963M 8' one piece. What characteristics would such a rod have, and for what applications would it be best suited?

This rod is rated for .5 to 1.0 oz per the Lami web site and .5 to 1.5 per Cape Cod Tackle's website. I think I have heard that both of these ratings are a bit low, but I don't know where this information came from and don't know if it's accurate. Comments?

Thanks.

Mick,

The is one of my favorite oldies from Lami. Long before graphite came out I used this blank for casting plugs and bucktails in Montauk for bass, blues and weakfish. I set mine up as a conventional, but it is also great as a spinner.

Al G.

Mick, that's an excellent blank, and good call, the ratings are indeed wrong, the result of some typos which got into the Lami catalog back in the late 80's and have been, unfortunately, picked up on their own website and by many component suppliers. I've been going 'round and 'round with Todd at Lami over this one for a good while now, and perhaps I can get him to jump in on this thread biggrin.gif

The correct, and original rating for the SMB963M blank, as originally listed for years by Lami, and imprinted right on the blank (until the recent discontinuance of that process) is 1 to 3 oz.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 12-06-2000).]

The sweet spot on this blank is between 1-1.5 oz. I have one that's at least 25 years old and it's a real sweetie for casting bucktails with braided line. I matched it with a Calcutta 400 and 30 lb Power Pro for an awesome set up.

Mick, I found one last year at a Jersey tackle shop tucked behind a bunch of other blanks, I noticed immediately what it was and asked the woman at the counter how much she said $25 i said sold. I didn't trim anything off it and built it as a spinner. I made the pickup guide too small and put too much hardener in the epoxy mix. but i used it all season with 20lb Power pro. that is easily my favorite rod to use in Jersey now that i fish off jetties regularly. that rod does anything i ask it to do. it hoisted a doubleheader of 26"ers up on the rocks and didn't even moan about it I have cast up to 3oz with no huge problems and as lite as a 1/2 oz. I am gonna redo it this year and with the amount that i have learned in Mr. Goldbergs little forum here hopefully i can do the rod justice. smile.gif

Al G:

I have that rod built as a spin stick in the old Lami LTD, the S-glass Prototype with 3" taken off the tip. Was LTD a bit softer than the sanded version??? I use mine off the sand with 30# Power Pro and can cast 3/8 to 1.5 ounce. Its a great rod!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm sold. Brian, what size gathering guide did you use, that was too small, and what size are you going to use when you re-do it?

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I intend to specify 7 underwrapped Fuji SIC guides plus the tip, with the gathering guide 1/50.

Prefessa,

LTD, now you are showing your age. Yes, they were a bit softer than the S glass. Johnny Kronuch Sr. in Montauk had a 9 footer in the LTD, MB1083M that was a dynamite summer surf rod for small plugs and bucktails.

Mick.

What reel do you plan on using? A Shimano Stradic 4000 series or equivalent size reel will hold plenty of Power Pro line for your needs. You can go will Fuji braced ceramic

spinning guides or even the high-frame single foots either SIC or Hardaloy. But I would go with an SIC tip.

Al G.

Thanks Al. Haven't decided on the reel, but I like Daiwa SS 2600s so it wouldn't surprise me if one of those reels wound up on the new rod, if and when I ever get it built. (I hope this winter smile.gif.)

Mick,

What is this "If and when I ever get it built". Not acceptable. Remember what the great sage said, " Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that".

The SS2600 is a great reel and perfect for that rod.

Al G.

OK Al I've read the post here and I now want to try and build the SMB1083M. QUESTIONS:

1. How many guides do you suggest?

2. And in what sizes?

3. Are your guide suggestions here compatable with the new Fuji Guide concept?

------------------

TeeDubYa

@optonline.net

"Phish0n for Longlife"

I'm late to the party, but I also have the 8' S-glass built as a spinning rod. It was done by Sea Isle in Freeport many years ago. Mine has 5 BLVG (Hardaloy) guides, starting with a 40mm gathering guide, going down to (I believe) a 10mm. I think it has an 8mm ring size on the tip. I've used both a Penn 550 and the Daiwa 2600 on it. It's now my daughter's rod to use.

Tedubya,

I would put six guides on this blank for spinning. If the rod is going to be fished off jetties than I would go with the Fuji Hardaloy BSVLG's in the following sizes:

40HH, 30, 25, 20, 16, 12. I would put of an SIC tip with a size 10 ring.

I have not tried the Concept system so I cannot comment on it. Maybe another member can offer their thoughts on it.

Al

P.S. Ditch, it was a pleasure meeting you tonight.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 12-08-2000).]

Al, I take it that if you recommended a 1/40 gathering guide for TW's 9 footer, you would disagree with my plan to use the 1/50 gathering guide on the 8 footer? And that you further think I plan to use too many guides?

Good thing I started this thread. smile.gif

Brian, did you lift those two 26 inchers completely out of the water with that rod, or just slide them up the rocks?