Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

Where do your conventional boat rods balance?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

With a reel loaded with line. Mostly I try to get them to balance dead center in the foregrip. That means the outfit balances perfectly level on one finger. Since I have gone back to using heavier old school Penns this year, the balance point moves towards the butt a 1/4" or 1/2".

I actually think now that I would like the balance point a 1/2" from center, towards the tip. That way I can hold the rod and touch the blank directly. It also gives me more room when I fish with the reel under the rod, a technique that feels weird, but I am trying just because it seems to work for other guys.

Thoughts?

Triet - it depends on teh rod. On my heavier Inshore stuff, like what you are showing in teh picture - I prefer to have it balnace right where you like it - in the 1/4-middle of teh foregrip. This way I can fish with one hand holding the rod, and it feels "weightless".

On my lighter rods, lik emy Fluke stuff, I like the balance point to be right under my hand - in the middle of teh reel seat. SAme reason.

You can drastically change the balnace of the rod, not by adding weight, but by other methods. They are a huge secret, and I cannot pot them on the boards or I might start making inferior rods to other people, lol.

Surf rods - I have n oanswer on, as I think having the corrent grip lengths is more important than balance, although most do feel tip heavy, I do what I can to keep the balance point nearest the reel seat.