Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cfisher

Help choosing 10' bucktail rod.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for a 10' rod to throw 2 1/2 to 4 oz. bucktails. The rod I'm using now is a Lami 1201L. This rod is great for covering alot of situations, but I want something better for throwing the heavier bucktails. I am looking at Amtak, and Rainshadow blanks, I want to avoid a Lami blank this time around to keep cost down.If you have a rod similar or one you like for 2-4 oz bucktails chime in!

go with lami 132 1m /4-12 /lure/next stepup

alot more meat then 120 1L.great throughting

3 oz. plug.and bucktails , my buddy use both of these rods . i go to make both of these for myself.

If you don't want to spend what a Lami GSB 120 1M or XRA 1205 runs, your best option is the All Star 1208. About $120 give or take for the blank.

Just my two cents: The places you need a bucktail rod to throw a 4oz buck are usually the jettys surrounding an inlet. That usually means, rockpiles, awkward landings, crowds and things in the way when you are casting. There is no way I would want an 11' rod in that situation. If you go lami; do what Ditch said GSB 120M. I've never used the Arra, but its more money and the way I monkey around the rocks sometimes falling, I hear its more fragile. I'm also impressed with the 2 rainshadow based rods I own. A 1088 conventional that handles 5oz and 1208 spinner my son uses.

Still if I had one rod it would be the 10' M.

JMHO,

Pete

Rainshadow 1208 Conventional with ABU 6500 does quite nice for me in that weight range. Very strong graphite composite materials. Then again that lami 120 M is a great one. Tough choice.

Steve

The rod will be used for bucktails in snotty windy rough weathe in inletts (Shinnicock, Jonesetc))when a 3 or 4 oz or more is needed to get down deep. In those situations my 1201L could be replaced with something a little heavier. I would not consider an 11' rod. I have 2 Lami blanks that I built on and I want to try a rainshadow,amtak,or all star blank. Iam leaning toward the Amtak Patriot 1208 I think. I want to use their guides too,made in the USA.

For whats it's worth...I have both the Amtak and Rainshadow 1209 blanks built conventional. For throwing 3 to 5oz jigs and metals, it's perfect. It's also a great rod for throwing the heavier plugs around the jetties and inlets. Going to build one of the Rainshadow 1208's this winter for tossing the lighter plugs.

But do yourself a favor on the guides..build with Fuji.. Their not American made, but you'll never be sorry for using them.

Good luck with your new sticks on which ever blank you choose.

The Rainshadow 1209 is a beefed up (in the butt) 1208, designed for jetty type situations. The range of lures however, is pretty similar, 1-4 for the 1208 and 1-5 for the 1209(pretty accurately rated). The 1209 is noticably heavier than the 1208. For jigs, the Rainhadows are great. The only thing you can't do with the Rainshadows is pencil pop. They're too fast.