Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

Epoxy Drying Time?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I put my second coat of Flex coat high build on SUnday afternoon and it's still tacky. It's been well over 72 hours. I measured carefully, mixed well and applied it in a controlled environment with temperatures right around 70 degrees. Humidity is not a problem as the house has forced hot air heat. The first coat seemed a little tacky as well, but I recoated that after about 36 hours. The first coat was not a heavy one.

Is this normal? According to the packaging, it should dry to the touch in 6 hours.

Did I do something wrong?

If the epoxy doesn't cure all the way, can I recoat it to seal it in? Please help!!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Sparky,

Good question. In the past I had similar problems with Flexcoat Highbuild. If it was not mixed perfectly 1:1, (I used the small syringes to ensure it was) it would not cure properly. I'll leave the second part of your question regarding recoating to the expert..

Alex

Sparky,

You are doing all the right things. You may be having a contamination problem with the finish itself.

Try this. Mix a small batch and apply a thin cost to just one guide. Let it dry for 72 hours. If it dries tack-free then do the same to the rest of the rod.

If the finish is still tacky then I would recommend you purchase a set of new finish and recoat the wraps.

Let me know how it works out.

Al

Thanks, Al.

If I need to purchase a new finish, could I use a lite? I don't want to build these guides up too high.

Also, should I worry about compatibility between different brands (should I stick to Flex coat brand)?

Thanks.

I notice that a lot of guys use Flexcoat. I would suggest trying U40 LS Supreme. It's a lot less finicky and creates a beautiful finish. My epoxy is typically tack free in 4 hours.

I had trouble with the high build just like you describe. eventually a big cloudy ball formed in the Part A resin bottle. I think it was old stuff. I used the lite for my last few rods and it was much better. I just used the U40 yesterday for the first time. It seamed a lot easier to work with. I'll know today when I get home if it cured well. The U40 is way thinner than even flexcoat light. It also has a very long pot life. stayed watery thin way past the time I needed to apply the finish. Despite being watery thin , I had no problem building up enough. Next batch I buy will be Classic Coat to see how i like that. Since Al said he uses it , its definitely worth a try. Gonna be hard to beat the U40 though. That stuff went on nice.

I have used U40 LS Supreme on my last couple of rods and have been very pleased with the product and results also. I prefer it over the other finishes I have tried. Just my .02

I would stick with Flexcoat. Just apply it in thin coats rather then one very heavy coat.

Al,

I know you are Flexcoat man, but I'm curious why you wouldn't recomend LS Supreme to someone new to building. What are your thoughts on LS Supreme?

Oz,

I am not a "Flexcoat Man", I swithced to Classic Coat for many years and it works well for me.

I used the original U40 finish and I was not happy with the results. I have not tried LS Supreme, but I hear good things about it. I will probably give it a try this year.

Al

Oz,

I am not a "Flexcoat Man", I swithced to Classic Coat for many years and it works well for me.

Sorry for labeling you Alrolleyes.gif. What do like about Classic Coat? It's one I've never tried. Do you know what Phil at Manhattan Custom Tackle used? I know he sold it under his name, but it seemed a lot like Clemen's Crystal coat to me. I built my first few rods with Phil's help and finish. Has he surfaced anywhere?

Guys I do not think that flex-coat can go bad. If it is tacky you might have gotten some bad (not old just bad) finish, or the mix is not perfect. As for building them up too much with coats, I was worried about this as well, just keep the coats VERY THIN and it won't build up much. Originally I wanted to use 2 coats on my rods, most of them end up having 4 and it is thinner than everyone elses coating that I have seen. You need to do multiple THIN coats like Mr. G suggests, it won't build up that much if you put thin coats on.

JC

Sparky: If you think you mix well, mix another min, I made this kind of mistake before and it always comes down to not mix well enough. How many cc of each part do you mix? Do the mixing in some thing small, tilt it up so the mix gather in one spot, and turn it very slowly in your left hand while stirring with your right hand. I mix at least 2cc of each part in the bottom of alu. soda can, using a disposable bamboo chopsticks. I usually mix at least 3mins (or until everything is homogenously one color), I use a digital watch to time myself. With temp over 65F, everything should dry in 8hours, if not, then you din't mix well enough.

FlexCoat does allow some tolerance in measurement (fr. my exp), I always have some leftover in one bottle when I finish a 1-oz kit, I estimate I make a 5%-error in my measurement.

Good wrapping.

Hung.

OK, I did some field testing.

I picked up some new flex coat. I mixed 2 batches very carefully, side by side. I took a chance and applied the newly purchased finish over the wraps and applied the suspect finish on a jig head. Both were mixed carefully and fully.

The new stuff is dry to the touch while the suspect batch is still tacky. I'm PO'd that I had to get a bad batch, but I'm out of the woods and the rod will be ok. I'm also happy that it wasn't operator error. I used to be a decorative painter in a former life and that would have been pretty embarrassing. icon15.gif

Next time around, I'm going to try a different finish. Thanks for all the help.

mark

Oz...

Phil from Manhattan Custom Tackle built a beautiful gsb108l for me and did many repairs to my other rods as well. Incredible craftsmanship, wish he was still making rods frown.gif