Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flame Thrower

Daiwa TNXS142m Rod Blank

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Have any of you used this rod, it's marketed under their tourney line in England. My Dad was over there and picked it up for me. Any feed back would be appreciated. I know nothing about the rod and will try to contact Daiwa also.

14' 2" rod , plenty of tip action like most of the daiwas and very stiff butt section , light for it's length . rated for casting 6oz but will have no problem casting 8oz , not that I would want a 14'+rod for casting 8 myself . Can be set up for spinning but the tip action is more suited to a conventional . I don't have this particular model but have the predessors from the Amorphous wisker series which were always rated as one of the best UK rods built .

Conn, is it worth my time and effort to put it together. I told him to look for a century or ziplex blank while he was there. Seems the shop talked him into this one.

If I cut the tip and but to 12'6" or so will this increase the weight limit.

I am not a big fan of modifying the UK blanks , that being said one of my Daiwa Amorphous Wiskers had the tip trimed by about 3" before I got it and it gives my a slighly stiffer action and serves a different function to the full lenght model .

Trimming the butt is ok , it won't change the rod rating but can make the casting action a bit harsher as it seems to speed up the cast and these style rods don't like to be hurried .

If you decide to trim the tip , go about an inch at a time and use taped on guides to let you experiment .

What exactly are you looking to do with the rod ?

Conn, was thinging of making a distance rod if pop had gotten the right blank. I think I'll make this a light duty fisher and leave the blank as is. Should be a good 4-5 oz and little piece of bait rod and be able to get the bait off the beach if need be.

The blank you have is the stiffest most powerful most expensive rod built by Diawa today . It is certainly a distance rod but only if you are capable of loading it right . Having not actually cast this model I am not a 100% sure but I would imagine that 4 oz won't and 5oz will only start to load this powerful a rod for beach fishing . 6-8oz will start to load the rod good and slows everting down to make them easier to cast , I have the same problem with my zziplex primo syncro , for fishing you need to have excellant technique and timing to get the most from these high end rods . I can easily load the syncro rod with 150g on a tournament field and cast it over 700' but get it on the beach and put a baited rig on it and it is a different story . The British call this over rodding yourself , everyone wants the biggest baddest beast of a rod but most can't handle them .

See from your Profile that you are not too far from one of our casting fields in Deptford New Jersey .Perhaps we can hook up and go over the rod and I can let you try out some of the zziplex's I have .

Conn, I'd love to get together with you guys at the casting field. I fish with Mr. edwards some times and am learning quite a bit. I'm probably a better then average caster. I've never been measured with just weight. As I am not sure what to do about this rod, I will take your advice. I have a 14'6" Breakaway that is probably good enough for the casting field. I use mostly spinning reels but have been learning the art of conv. I'll PM you with a phone number. Thanks for the Invite.

PS. I've met MR Haplin (spelling) on the river and he has been after me to get there also.