Rod Wrapping Station

Rate this topic

sageguy

There's a guy on another board who put together a power wrapping unit - on the **** board (sport-fish-info.com) his name is Neptune.

You need a chuck and a foot pedal, as well as some sort of rod supports. Good luck doing this, it'll save you a ton of money if you do it right.

PS: What RPM is the motor, I could use a new 1/4HP motor to replace the 1/10 one I have now. What fdid you search under?

Thanks, BIlly

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

You can easily make a wrapping jig from wood. Everything you will probably need can be purchased in Home Depot.

What you will need is a foot pedal control to adjust the speed of the wrapping motor. You can purchase that from link removed

As far as schematics, checkout www.renzetti.com for pictures of their rod lathe. That should give you an idea of the basic layout. I can assit you the rest of the way.

Al

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 11-11-2002).]

I built my rod wrapping jig.Mine is made out of aluminum but wood will work also.I used rollerblade wheels as the rollers which I got on ebay.I also bought the taig self centering mini lathe 3 jaw chuck on ebay and this is the chuck that is used on most of the more expensive rod lathes.The motor I used was off a sewing machine it need to be reduced with pulleys to slow it down and have it so it runs constant at variable speeds for drying or pedal controlled for wrapping.

Search on ebay under "rod wrapping". Fellow had a boatload of them. Comes with a foot pedal and spins at up to 7,000 RPM. Don't know exact HP. Building wrapping station looks pretty straight forward except for the connection of motor to the wrapping jig itself. Any help there greatly appreciated.

Au2K

The motor I used was rated at 4000 rpms I built a pulley system that goes from a very small pulley on the motor to a pulley that is 4 inches.Then off of that went from another very small pulley to another 4 inch pulley which drives the shaft that connects to the chuck.With the motor spinning at full speed the chuck only spins about 40 rpms.The motor needs to spin near full speed or it get very hot and my guess is it wont last long.Check out the renzetti lathe they show a pretty good picture of the variable pulley system they use to control the speeds.If you dont want to go with all these pulleys look on ebay there is sometimes motors that have gear reductions that only spin about 35 rpms at full speed..Kind of like a rotisserie for a grill but alittle faster..For belts to drive the system I use round vacuum cleaner belts that you can get anywhere..Good Luck..If I can figure out how to post a picture here I will take some and post them..