Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lumo

Blank or Rod recommendation????

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

would love to build my first surf rod and since i just started fishing this past year i could use lots of help. so please bear with me. redface.gif

what i need would throw bombers, yo-zuris, red fins, slug gos, metal, 3/4-1 1/2 oz. range, spinning, i hear braided line is better for distance and sensitivity, i guess 10-20 lb test??? beaches, inlets and rivers, size doesn't matter wink.gif just efficiency, either a stradic 5000, captiva 5000 or slammer 560, i know its a lot to consider and sorry if its a confusing post but..

thanks in advance confused.gif

Rainshadow SU1087...great bang for the buck, or a Lami GSB1081L

The Rainshadow SW 1087 is as good a bang for less bucks, for the weights you're considering. I've seen the blank go for less than $70.

If you want something a lil longer the RS 1264 would be a good choice..its 10.5 feet but you could easily cut it back to 10 if you wanted. Its a 2pc also.

As for the reel go with the stradic, great reels for the money, mine have held up amazingly well considering what i put them thru.

I have to agree with Ditch. I built a SU1087 and think it is a very versitile plugging rod. However I wanted something that could punch a bomber and other light stuff just a little better and am now in the process of building the SW1087. The SW is not yet complete but by poking the ceiling the SW is definitely a bit lighter than the SU. Oh yeah, the price is right for a first time build too.

Thanks all! I think I'll try the Rainshadow SW1087. The lower price is more appealing since it is my first....and to think I was tempted by a Lami XRA 1083 recommended by a couple of canal shops. Though I'm sure it's a great blank, I'd hate to screw that up my first time wrapping crying.gif $$$$$$$$

Also wondering, besides for guides and hook keepers, are thread wraps helpful or decorative?

IMO, forget the hook keeper. You can always put your hook or snap onto the fram of the lowest guide. I put a hook keeper on my Lami 1081L, and I regret it. From time to time, the line fouls on it.

Look at the Batson Salmon/Steelhead blanks. I just built a SH1026-2 (3/4 - 1 1/2) for bombers and sluggos - throws them a mile with 20# fireline. I know you're looking for something longer, and the SU and SW series blanks have a lot of options, but don't ignore the Salmon blanks, they make great plugging rods.

Thread wraps can alter the charactertistics of the blank to some extent. Longer guide wraps will stiffen the action more than shorter wraps. A butt wrap could stiffen that section of a moderate action blank. In most cases it does not have a noticeable or at least a negative impact. In fact, the man who taught me to wrap rods liked a very stiff butt section and hated any flex under his hands. If a rod was to flexible, he would wrap thread form the top of where the butt wrap would end all the way to the bottom of the rod. He would then glue the real seat etc. The extra wrap would eleviate the flex with very minimal addition of weight relative to an 9 or 10' rod with a 20 oz reel.