Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maddog2020

WHY did you start making custom rods?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I initially started back in late 70s to save some $. Production Fenwick rods back then were around the $35 for a medium bass rod (PLS65). At most I may have saved 40% tops (probably less if you add up all the misc stuff you need to start wrapping).

I remember buying a Sage (not a real big name YET back then) UL blank and making a nice 6' all around rod. Not much more $ than the Lamiglas graphite ones back then. I wanted something fancy since it was a present. My Dad still uses that Sage (busted the tip off about 3 times now.....LOL, more like a 5'7").

just started in 2003 with my first rod and i am hooked.

the reason that i started is i had a ton of "off the rack" rods that i rarely used and a few customs that i used all of the time. i decided to sell of most of the OTR rods and replace them with customs. to better afford this change i thought that i would give building rods a try and i am very happy with the process.

a couple of things didn't go quite as well as i had hoped with the first rod as i tend to be a perfectionist, but there is the learning curve and with a little more experience i will over come these relatively minor problems. smile.gif

Not to save $, because you can get used rods for very little. Not because I wanted something perfect, because I don't really know what that is. I started because a friend has made a couple, blanks were easy to get (there was a barrel filled with them in Spiegel's in Manhattan 25 years ago), and it was something to do. I never cared enough to do a good job, but it is very cool to catch on something you made. That's also why I open up reels so much.

Couldn't buy what I wanted off the rack is my story and I'm stick'in to it wink.gif .

Actually that's part true. Cost is another factor.

I've got a bunch of nitch rods that I built on cheap blanks, total cost < $40 that I'd put up against any factory rod to do the same thing for under $100 smile.gif .

It's fun, is another reason, and the feeling of accomplishment, just like catchin a fish on a fly you tied, it's something you made icon14.gif .

But I'm not a custom builder, just a hack that likes to wrap rods cwm12.gif

Save money on Fly rods. First one I built was a SAge 4711LL, then a Loomis Blem. I only used them 1 time each, great way to save money.

After that I figured out how easy butt wraps were, and I started building them because I could make the rod look so pretty.

I still wrap them to make them look so pretty, os I gues that's why.

I started making them to save $$ as I cant afford to pay for the quality standards I build to.

Maybe Billy will do a swap biggrin.gif

It's also a heck of alot of fun and kind of

an ego trip (admit ti fellow wrappers!) to catch a fish on a rod you built and a plug you made. Now, if I could only learn to make my own monofilament and braid icon14.gif

CD

I started helping out at a tackle shop when I was 13 and was taught the craft. Never stopped wrapping rods. The reason I do it now is to get what I want as far as reel seat placement, guides and actions of blanks not found in most factory rods. I am very willing to trim a blank to get the results I want.

Although all my fly rods are factory sage rods.....

mostly for cost purposes, I wanted and need the best rods that money could buy as I went thru my bargain basement, sport authority stage and after wasting money on junk, I figured I needed quality. so, I figured spending $150-175 on components and building my own, was more cost effecive than buying a $375-$400 surf stick.

plus it is cool to catch fish on stuff you made.

I honestly cant believe I ever caught a fish on my teasers and bucktails, how dumb are dem basses???

Simple, I couldn't afford to buy the rods I wanted off the rack. I had to either make them myself or buy rods of lesser quality.

No one warn me of the crack-like addictive pull of rodmaking. Now, 18 years and a couple thousand dollars later, I even have my own business so I can lose money faster....

i had only a few production rods and wanted a lami or better yet a custom lami. after looking at prices i found i could build a custom lami for myself for the cost of a decent production rod.

now im hooked and its more about making myself the best possible equipment and enjoying making it than it is about saving $$.

I started for the money. I was a fly fishing sissy at the time and after the 4th factory GLX, I started feeling like a sucker. frown.gif So I figured I'd save money building my own. Turned out costing the same but I have three times the amount of rods wink.gif I only own one factory surf stick. I think surf rods are the toughest to find a good factory job.

Well, its been a COLD winter and it keeps me off the internet. tongue.gif

Re-wrapped an old Garcia Conolon 10' rod during the Christmas break. Put together a stout shorty cod jiggin stick last nite. Nothing fancy - user/abuser sticks.

I have to build a drying box. Basement is only 50 F (don't think the flexcote is gonna like that too much..lol). Did a 10' conventional rod last March and the Flexcoat didn't come out too purdy.

Tom Kirkman's book, "Rod-Building Guide" had a lot of good info in it. smile.gif