Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich L

Tangle Free tip guide

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a 9 foot Team Daiwa, which I love, but I'd like to replace the tip guide with a Fuji Alconite tangle-free model like St. Croix is now using. Two questions: Does anyone know where I can find them? Does anyone know what Daiwa uses to hold their tip guides on, is it epoxied, do they use the thermal ferrule cement, what would I have to do to get the original off without damaging the rod? Thanks.

No suggestions for a source for that tiptop but I've replaced lots of tops on Daiwas, and the originals always came off with a modest application of heat which indicates either hot melt or a five minute epoxy, either of which loses its bond at fairly low heat levels.

Thanks guys. I did a little asking around at some tackle shops and may have found a source here on Long Island. As long as I know I can safely remove the original with a little heat, I'll find the matching size and be done with the rod tip tangles I encounter when casting and jigging into the wind with braided line.

Most shops will do a while you wait replacement for just a token fee. It's probably the most common repair they deal with. If you're doing it yourself (and it's certainly simple enough) keep the heat fairly mild on the metal tube as you pull the old tiptop straight off. No twisting; just a nice straight pull. Grip the ring itself with a damp cloth to keep from scorching your fingers smile.gif

[ 08-24-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Bill Klein ]

Just wanted to thank you guys again for your input. I got ahold of a BMNAT tip guide, removed the original with a little heat, and used some 5 minute epoxy to glue it in place and some Gudbrod wrapping thread and some thin, slow curing epoxy to wrap the foot. It came out great. Used it for the first time last night, and the tangle free feature is a blessing in the wind.