Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravioli

New Work Space

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just gutted a work room attached to my garage and I am planning to set up a little office and work shop. I would like to set up part of it for rod building. How long a section of cabinet should I put in? Are cabinets ok or should I put in just a flat table? The room is a blank slate. I can do any thing that I want to it. Any ideas anyone?

Rav,

Are really into rod building. At a minimum you will need a table a least one foot longer then the longest rod you intend to wrap. So if you are into surf rods then you should think about 11-12 feet.

As far as a table or cabinet, I would go with the cabinet for storage space or a table with shelves underneath.

Most important though is good lighting. I use color corrected flourescent fixtures with 4 40 watts lights with two fixtures for a total of 8 lights.

Al

Al,

Thank you for the reply. Do you think I could put cabinets on the wall overhead, or do you think that they would get in the way?

Rav,

You are only 45 minutes away. Plan on coming up to my shop to check out the layout. It will give you some ideas.

Send me your email at my home at rodprof@bestweb.net and we can schedule a time in the evening or on a Saturday.

Al

The one thing to keep in mind is, leave room underneath for your legs & foot petal!Cabinets may rob you of this. I can't have them with a 6'4" framehammer-time.gif,& I HATE banging my knees on stuff under the counter! I'm also going to try a captain's type stool-with casters--so I can just 'wheel my way" down the rod.((Armrests are VERY helpful-downright necessary for me,especially when weaving/& wrapping buttwraps)

I suggest a pc.of counter-top(from a closeout,or auction),with that little rolled up lip on the front-Keeps tools & stuff from rolling off.

overhead cabinets ar ok,but ,watch for interference of the lighting(shadows are a pain).

Lotsa things to keep in mind when building the new shop..still trying to 'perfect' mine.

It is fun ,thou.....