Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianV

double or triple guide wraps

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Is it worth the added time to triple wrap guides? I'm building a stand up rod on a 50lb blank, and a local shop in my area does a triple wrap on their larger lb. class stand up rods. I was wondering if there was any added benefit to triple overwraps over double.

I double overwrap my offshore rods up to

80 lb. and triple overwrap 130's and unlimited rods.

When doing multiple overwraps, do the first wrap in size C thread. Apply a thin coat of finish to the wrap and wait three days before the next overwrap which I do in size A thread.

If another overwrap is necessary I just repeat the above step. It is very important to let each coat of finish fully cure before doing another wrap. Also, the size A thread will give you more turns, be just as strong and give you a better finish.

Al

Hi,

I triple wrap almost all my custom rods. I do this for strength and it gives me an otion of an extra color. I usually use Gudebrod Metallic HT thread.

I underwrap with"A". I always wrap the guides on with "B" black thread. This prevents the color of the guide feet showing thru the wrap.

After the under wrap and guide wrap I apply epoxy and wipe off all the excess, let dry minimum 24 hours.

The top wrap is installed, "A" HT metallic or whatever the purchaser chooses. Then 3 coats of epoxy.

Most of the rods I build are not affected by 3 wraps. Lite rods are a different situation.

Capt Neil