Arra 1205 tip top w/ high frame guides?

Rate this topic

pksurfish

My tip top was damaged in shipping on a custom 1205 and repair shop I took it to told me that the builder used an odd size tip top that he is reluctant to replace it with. What is the right size tip top to use on the Arra 1205 with high frame guides? Repair shop suggested that I need an extra large guide opening on this tip top to allow the line to move in a straight line from the high frame openings and not have to bend down to go through a smaller/lower tip top? What about tube size for this blank. Thanks.

pksurfish, I like using on 10' and longer surf rods a # 16 ring tip top for spinning and for conventional a # 12 ring size tip top.There is some good information in my book "The Ultimate Guide To Surfcasting" pages 52, 53 that will help you understand this aspect of rod building. Also, there is a segment in my video "Surf Fishing and Distance Casting," that shows a casting sequence in slow motion using spinning, showing the line coming off the spool in large coils and will explain why a # 16 tip top is best for a spinning rod...where conventional line flows directly through the center of the guides and a smaller guide size is needed.By the way, you have purchased an excellent all around surf rod, that would be my choice if I could only afford one rod and honestly not just because my name is on it.Best Wishes

[ 10-18-2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Ron Arra ]

According to the Lami catalog, the 1205 blank has a size 12 tip. My 1205 is a factory model and I haven't replaced the tip yet, but this seems pretty accurate.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Ron - have you casted any rods with the Fuji Low Riders on them? I wrapped one (a Lami You1204) for ErikT, but I don't think he casts as well as you do.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Billy 40,I have done surfcasting with the low riders, but more with fresh water Bass rods.I have found that the low guides create friction and somewhat restrict the line flow with decrease distance achieved in surfcasting.If you go to page 52 in my book you will see a photo showing proper guide placement.Properly aligned guides should form a tunnel or cone that will allow the line to pass through with little resistance.I like to use a size 30 collecting guide for convetional and a 40 or 50 in spinning depending on what size reel spool you are employing.

Thanks much all. It's especially beneficial to have the answer from the man who designed the rod. Thanks much, Ron. PS - In fact I have both your book and the previous version - Power Surfcasting. I will check it for the references you mention. Ron, if you read this, your reference to the book here brings up something in it that has always puzzled me. On pg. 5, in the photo and description of "my surfishing rods" the 1322 blank/rod is described several different ways - as a conventional, spinning, custom, factory, etc. The rods are given different lure ratings, ratings which differ from what I have read from the factory for the 1322. Is this a misprint, or am I missing something. Rod 1 = 1 1/2 oz lures, rod 2 = 1-3 oz lures, rod 4 = 1 1/2 oz again, rod 8 = 1-5 oz lures. I have the 1322, custom wrapped for spinning, and 2-4 oz seems about right to me.

[ 10-19-2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: pksurfish ]

pksurfish,The first printing had a misprint on page 5 and was corrected in the second printing.No matter how accurate you think your book is going to be in the first printing there is always a misprint somewhere even after countless proofreading of the manuscript and organizing the galley.

Billy,

I haven't built any of the surf rods here using the low riders yet but we do have several series of fresh water and salmon and steelhead rods that we utilize the Fuji Concept guide system on. Fortunately we have had the luxury to take these rods and compare like models side by side with and without the concept guides. There have been none that the concept guides didn't perform better on.

Todd

Todd R. Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

Todd, that is my extremely limited "I read that on the internet knowledge" feeling as well. I haven't done side by side comparisons, and even if I did, I cast like crap so they wouldn't mean much. I do have FW rods with the concept gides on tehm, and to me they feel like they cast better than teh traditional method.

For me, the added beefit of the Concept sstem for surf rods whould be having a lighter rod. Rather than using a 40HH etc size stripper, going to a size 20 (braid only) significantly reduces the weight of the rod, and "allegedly" will cast further (if not further the same).

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

Be sure to test the rods rigged for fishing. that is , if its a rod rated to 5 oZ , put a 50 lb leader on and see how it passes through the guides. I have no doubts based on the descriptions that tom kirkman has given that the smaller guides near the tip aid the recovery and thus increase distance but how is it to fish with when a 50 pound leader (or hwatever size) and leader knot has to be strung through the guides and pass through them time and time again , cast after cast. also consider how the smaller guides will beat on the keader knot and possibly weaken things there. i don't know the answeres , just trying to ask the right questions.

We ain't talking rocket science here. If we're afraid a 50# leader will get stuck in a size 10 or 12 guide, then don't use anything less than a 16. It can't be all that hard to test cast and come to your own conclusions.

If you are able to cast with the Concept or Low Rider set up as far as with the Cone Of Flight set up - only the Concept set up reduces the weight of the guides by half - why would anyone want to use the Cone of Flight set up?

If you use the Concept/LC guides and casting distance is reduced - then you at least have a basis to doubt the theory and use the "old school" set up, or figure out how to set up the Concept properly.