Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
willmac

High side of a blank?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

THe last fly rod I built had the high side of the blank where you put the guides marked off. I'm now building a spinning and was wondering if there was a high side, because I can't find it. Does it really matter that much?

yes it should have a "spline". depending on the size of the blank, its probably less defined than in a fly rod. If its 2 pc, the top half shud be easier than the bottom to find. A good bend and roll it in your palms shud find it.

good luck

Hi Wllmac.

It is possible just accasionally to get a perfect blank with practically no spine in it or at any rate one so small it takes very very educated hands to find it. Now if you want loads of info on the spine go to www.rodbuilding.org and look it up in the Library section. Trust me I am PC usless and I can find it ok. There is overmuch emphasis placed on the spine and on it's efect in my opinion. If you definataly can't find the spine in the top section be happy you can then put your guides where you want. Most rod builders would tend to position them so that the weight of the guides tends to straighten any natural curve in the blank. On the afore mentioned site you will find advise also on static load ditribution and the so called new Concept system of placing guides onto your blank. The concept system I remain totally skeptical about. No one has yet been able to prove to me objectively that there is any increase in perfromance as a result.

If your blank is a spinning blank and 7 feet then I would fit between 5 and 6 running guides plus tip top. As to size well I am unconventional in that I use smaller guides then most builders. My striper guide is size 25 and this is for rods up to 11 feet. Trust me large stripper guides will not give you more distance.

For a seven footer try this

Size 10 x2

Size 12 x1

Size 16x1

size 20x1

size 25 x1

You may be able to drop one of the 10's

Tip top size 10

Rings/ Guides then Fuji BSVLG are a good quality guide and will not break the bank. If you want sics then same frame design SVSG is the ticket.

Hope this helps

Mike O.