Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jettyjockey18

Rod Bond question...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

i mixed up my first batch of rod bond last night around 10pm...i used two spoons to measure the two components and the two portions i mixed together looked pretty close in size...

assuming that i mixed a good batch and the temp in my basement is probably high 50's, will the mix take longer than the typical 24 hours to cure??

Temperature does effect the way epoxy cures. I cannot give you a definate answer, but why not check some of the leftovers from the batch and see if it hard? High 50's, there souldn't be too much of a problem, but I can tell you low 50's and epoxy finish will take more than 8-10 hours to set up enough that I can shut off the motor.

I agree with Billy. I always (in my vast 1-rod wealth of experience) leave the foil with the expoxy or finish out alongside the rod, then check it before I touch the finish or stress the bond on the rod. I have loved the rod bond - don't seem to be able to mess it up the few times I've used it.

i brought the cup with the leftover rod bond into my kitchen where the temp is 70ish...the contents are very tacky and somewhat flexible...definitely not hard though...frown.gif if it doesn't hardern by tonight i'll proably hafta remove the real seat and make a new batch...

JJ - don't remove anything. It will eventually harden, just just is some time. Move the rod up into the kitchen as well, just because it's warmer up there. The Rod Bond is VERY forgiving when it comes to mixing equal parts. I'd let it sit another day or 2 before I even thought about cutting it off.

Rod Bond can be very sensitive to temperature in regards to cure rate. I installed a hypalon grip and reel seat bushings on a rod at about 9 pm one evening, turned off the heat in the shop(outside)and took the rod in the house to cure the epoxy. The temperature in the shop dropped to about 34 degrees that night. At about 10:30 the next morning, I remembered that I'd left my spatula in the Rod Bond and rushed out to the shop to try to get it loose. The Rod Bond was still so soft that I was able to use it to install the reel seat. Although the rod with the grip and bushings had completely set up at 70 degrees, the leftover epoxy at 34 degrees was still useable. Save it from day to day in the refrigerator?