Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ralph

Placement of Stripper Guide, xra1204-2 and xra1321-2

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I received the blanks and guides for the xra1204-2 and the xra1321-2 last night. As a novice rod builder I have a few questions(more to come I'm sure smile.gif )

#1 The supplier/rodbuilder provided me with the identical set of guides for both blanks, bsvlg 50,40,30,25,20,16. How do I determine the location of the first guide (distance from the reel face) ? I would like to get it close before I do a test cast.

#2 When I assembled the rods I noticed that these blanks are very lightweight and the walls are quite thin. Should I thread wrap the ferrule were the two pieces come together to provide additional strength? I was provided with size A and D thread.

#3 Do I need to spline the butt section ?

Thanks in advance;

Ralph

Ralph,

1. That wouldn't be my first choice for a guide set, but you can do it with them. I think you could drop a guide too, 5 is enough for either rod. Read Al's article in the articles section for some general ideas of where to put them, then you could ask particular questions.

2. YOU MUST wrap the female side of the ferrule. Don't put too much pressure on the rod assembling it without the wrap either.

3. Not to be a pain in the butt, but it's a peeve of mine.wink.gif IT'S SPINE (spline was a typo in a popular rod building book that got picked up by many learning thew craft and it has unfortunately lasted for years)Anyway, you should try to spine it, but don't be suprised if it's not easy or obvious. Don't sweat it, as long as the tip is done, you're OK.

Oz, Thanks for the quick reply :

Should I drop the last guide, the #16 ? Six guides does sound like a lot for a spinning rod.

Also , I was provided with a #10 tip, will that work ok or should I go with a larger one ?

Thanks , Ralph

I'd drop the 25 and go 50, 40, 30, 20, 16 on the 1204, and maybe get a tip with either a 12 or 16 ring. That's the set up on my one piece 1204, same guides, too (BSVLG Hardaloys).

Ralph,

Take DJ's advice on the setup. I would go with 16 tip in either Hardloy or SIC. The only issue is finding one that fits. I'm sure Al G can help you with that.

I wrapped a 1321-2 for my Dad last year. I used a 40HH placed on the ferrule as the first guide. It casts like a champ smile.gif

I have 50mm guides on my one piece honey pencil rods.

gad

I'd drop the 25 and go 50, 40, 30, 20, 16 on the 1204, and maybe get a tip with either a 12 or 16 ring. That's the set up on my one piece 1204, same guides, too (BSVLG Hardaloys).

Thanks Ditch, Do you think the same combo would work ok with the xra1321-2 rod.

John, I tried to find the 16 tip in a couple rod building supply sites last night but had no luck. Hopefully Al can find a source.......

Ralph

Fuji does not make a #9 tip with a #16 ring. As John suggested, wrap the tip with size a thread and apply a thin cost of finish. Let it cure for three days then lightly sand it to dull the finish. A #12 tip with a #16 ring should fit it fine then.

I'd drop the 50 and use a 40 HH. You can mount it closer to the reelseat. That and the high clearence/smaller diameter will bring the billowing of the line under control and cut down on slap better than the 50.