Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAssasin

Rod building materials?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I live in the Spring Lake area. I was wondering if any of you guys could suggest sources for rod building supplies (blanks in particular). I have been going to Bogan's which I find to have a good selection but I am looking to build some freswater rods and Bogan's is mostly heavier stuff. Catalogs are nice if you know the exact blank you are looking for but I like to be able to compare blanks side by side since there are some variations even when two blanks are the same model. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks junkman, that is a bit of a ride but not terrible (45-50 minutes). I am near the coast in central jersey. You know where the Shark River Inlet is (belmar), about 5 minutes south. Thanks fo the info.

About 5 years ago my dad stopped in a shop in Brielle, NJ. There they sold him some stuff to repair a broken tip, and some thread for a broken guide. They had a rod building shop in the back/side of the store, and a regular tackle shop in the front

I do not know the name or anythnig else, but there is a shop there. Don't know how close it is to you. Hope this helps.

Billy, that's probably Brielle B&T you're remembering. It's been several years since I dealt with these guys, and shopped the area; hopefully someone more local will chime in with current conditions.

Brielle B&T was always a super source for components, and at least used to even offer a good-sized mail order catalogcwm15.gif. I bought many J. Kennedy Fisher blanks there over the years, along with a good load of all the various components.

Kevin Bogan had, at the time, a shop not far from there and offered custom rodbuilding along with a somewhat lesser array of parts for sale.

MV was also close by (they still around, local guys?) Used to have some great looking custom rods, but I don't remember if they offered components. I'm thinkin' probably not.

Mud Hole Tackle was yet another great stop for components before they packed their operations off to Florida... in Forked River, wasn't it? The general area used to be a real gold mine of resources, the more I think about it biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 02-09-2001).]

You guys are referring to two stores both owned by the Bogan family (distant relatives I believe) one is in Brielle the other in Point Pleasant. This is where I get my supplies and they are very, knowledgable, helpful and I think the prices are fair also. As I stated in the original post they have mostly saltwater stuff for obvious reasons. I was looking for some lighter blanks for freshwater rods. I have lived here for a while and haven't come across any local shops that have a large selection of lighter blanks. I did find a nice blank yesterday at the Brielle shop for a freshwater casting rod, I was just looking for a better selection locally. Thanks for the suggestions though.