Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Building fly rods

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al, who'd a thunk I'd have so many questions for ya? wink.gif

I have a couple fly blanks I got from Lamiglas. That's about all I know about building a light fly rod smile.gif One is 9'6" 7wt and the other is a 9' 6wt. I ordered a ton of snake guides (just to be safe wink.gif) and I'm sure I can use a smaller BNLG for the stipper guide. Can you give me suggestions on a reel seat, foregrip, and a possible method to the guide spacing and sizing? I don't know what to expect in a deflection type test...should I put space the guides to that when the rod is flexed (upside down) that the line stays off the blank? I would think that wouldn't be too hard considering the relative stiffness of fly line compared to mono or braid.

Any help sincerely appreciatedsmile.gif

TimS

Hi Again Boss,

You are full of questions today. Fly Rods!

If you a strictly into functionality, then go with a regular #18 Fuji seat. Just make sure it fits your fly reel properly. If you want to go a little more upscale then there are other manufacturers I can recommend.

For guides and spacing I would recommend the Fuji single foot fly guides in hardaloy for running guides and a BNLG #16 as a stripper for both the 6 and 7 wt rods. The remaining guides would be 12, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 plus the tip. If you need to add another guide for the 9.5 foot rod then add another #8.

Since the line hangs below the blank touching is not an issue. Just make sure the stripper guide is at arm's length for proper line control and the first guide from the tip is 5-6 inches away from the tip. Space the remaining guides so that you have a smooth curve when the rod is loaded.

Happy wrapping.

Al

Hehehe...everytime the phone rings, I wrap another guide on the SB136 3M that I'm wrapping....5 more phone calls and it'll be ready to finish smile.gif

So, I shouldn't use a trigger reel seat? wink.gifwink.gif

Thanks Al fer yer help. One more question, since I got yer ear smile.gif Why not use the snake guides? I got the good ones after all! Is it a function of tightening up the rod too much with the additional wrapping that double footed snake guides need? I've just always liked snake guides on fly rods, but, as always, am open to good solid reasoning smile.gif

TimS

Snakes are fine, however, I am always concerned about the varying quality of snakes from the different suppliers. Also, the single foot Fuji guides do not restrict the rod as much.

Al

I hate to contradict Al, but a size 16 reel seat would be more appropriate for a 6 or 7 wt fly rod. I built a 9 wt with a size 16 seat and even my 10-11 wt reel fits in it--most fly reels have very small feet.