Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAL

Spiral Wrap Rotation

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Question for you guys... did a search but didn't see this tid bit. Does it matter which way the guides rotate when doing a spiral wrap?

Should they rotate clockwise or counter when looking towards the tip from the reel?

It really doesn't matter as to performance. I have them going to the right/clockwise so they are on the same side as the reel handle which keeps them from hitting the deck when I lay a rod down. If you use a nonlevelwind reel, it is easier to thumb the line if the spiral is to the left/counterclockwise.

Al: why counterclockwise? My response was from what I learned at your seminar last year and talking with Hugh Miller. The line comes of the reel equally from both sides, so there really shouldn't be any advantage in either case.

Tom Kirkman's response to the same question on rodbuilder was "You'll get alot of opinions on this one, but most people will agree that from a purely performance standpoint, it makes little difference.

I spiral to the opposite side that my handle is on, to keep the line moving "downhill", although I would not say that it makes any real difference. Others like to to spiral to the same side the handle is on, so that when the rod is laid on a boat deck or rod box lid, the transition guides will be "up" just like the handle and the rod will sit flat on the deck. That's certainly a good consideration."

[This message has been edited by PeterO (edited 12-17-2002).]

Peter,

I have always spiraled opposite to the reel handle. That's was how I was taught early on from one of the pioneers of the technique.

If rotating clockwise works for you then go for it.

Al