Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

Does anyone weigh their finished rods?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Greetings, all. I'm just curious.

I just finished a pair of 7' Graphite USA heavy action conventional rods, spiral wrapped, rated to cast 1 - 4 ounces, with 15-40 lb test line.

The first one is finally dry, and I was playing with it and suddenly noticed how light it was. I swear it feels just as light as my light sticks...

I put it on a scale, and it came to 6.62 ounces, without the butt cap. Put a Loomis lite stick on the scale, and it tipped the scale at 6.54 ounces without a butt cap. (They WERE almost the identical weight!)

Just weighed naked blanks, and they weigh 3.11 ounces for the heavy, and 2.92 for the lite. Surprisingly close, seeing the VAST difference in action.

Have any of you ever weighed your finished rods?

If so, what is the weight you have observed for a 7' casting or spinning rod?

I'm very curious, because I've been using techniques to keep weight down, such as eliminating underwraps, using graphite arbors, flaming the epoxy, using spiral wraps/lightweight guides and using New Concept spinning guide systems, but I have no idea whether these rods are any lighter than any other. So any comparisons are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-TH

Hi Tony,

The action of a blank is determined by the taper and the material it is made from. The GUSA heavy spinning blank is probably made from a higher modulus graphite then the Loomis resulting in a stiffer blank with approximately the same weight as the lighter action Loomis.

However, with all higher modulus blanks there is a tradeoff between lightness, performance and durability. The stiffer graphite requires less material in the wall of the blank which can result is less durability. GUSA blanks are very tough and durable but the carry a hefty price tag.

Hope this helps.

Al

Hey, Al, how ya dooin'? cwm35.gif Long time no talk to...

That is about what I figured. I got lucky, and got two GUSA blanks that had a couple of inches broken from the tip. Got them for $10, which worked out very well for me! Are going to be great heavy jigging rods.

Do you have any weights for 7' casting rods for me to compare to?

TH

Tony,

I weighed up two of my favorite conventional 7 foot casting rods. Both weigh 8.5 ounces. Both are high tech graphite Loomis IMX with the following components:

Fuji NSG guides - 8 guides plus a tip.

13 inch cork butt and 6 inch cork foregrip.

Fuji #18 trigger seat.

Fuji cap.

Both rods have a diamond butt wrap with a number of coats of high-build finish.

Al

Al,

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing the differences are in the components...

* I have a 13.5" rear grip, but only a 3.5" foregrip (shorter handle, overall)

* I do not have a butt wrap, only a decal with 1 coat of Lite epoxy over it.

* Fuji #18 graphite reel seat. (is yours metal?)

* Only four double-foot guides, and then the rest are low-profile fly guides.

* Very thin coats of Flex Coat lite, rather than regular Flex Coat.

* I use a heavy, protective rubber butt-cap, which takes the rod up to 7.24 ounces.

Looking at it, the difference of just over an ounce seems about right, if the blanks were about the same weight to begin with. The heavier guides, the butt wrap and longer handle are probably the difference.

Does that sound about right to you?

-TH

Tony,

That sounds right. However, what is the point? Like I said earlier, there is a tradeoff between performance and durability. The way and placs i fush give me durability anytime.

The ability to make the rod superlight really does not give you that much added performance when you are talking about these particular casting rods. However, when you talk about surf rods then that's another matter. Casting constantly with a 10+ foot surf rod that's heavy will really have an effect on your fishing success due to the fatigue factor.

Now that is interesting...

I generally think of it in just the opposite way. Surf rods tend not to be cast nearly as much, either because they are using bait, or because they cast so far, the retrieve is much longer.

The way I normally fish, I am constantly casting and retrieving the entire time I'm on the water. A difference of an ounce, particularly forward of the handle, is noticed keenly.

I built three identical Loomis rods, with identical hardwarwe. Blindfolded, you can tell which one of them was the first. (with underwraps and 2 coats of epoxy) It feels slower, heavier, and less responsive, but only when compared to the other two. I never thought a little epoxy would make such a difference! I eventually gave the rod away to a good friend.

Since then, I've built all my rods as light as possible.

But here is a question: What makes one rod more or less durable than another? So far, my lighter sticks have held up just as well as every other rod I own.

Here is a pic of the one rod:

twist1.jpg

Thanks for your time and assistance, Al!

TH