Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

Butt extension

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have a stock Loomis MBR784. They come with the butt shorter than I like. I cut off the butt cap, drilled a hole in the epoxy filling the butt and used a piece of threaded rod to get the rest of the expoxy out. Now, I'd like to extend the butt by about 4 inches. What is the best way to do this? Since this is a partyboat rod, a more durable material than cork would be suitable. Anyway the easiest method seemed to be a piece of 3/8" OD aluminum rod lightly glued in. I can build it up (probably with a short piece of hypalon, and electrical tape to fill the gap where the old butt cap used to be) and throw some 3M cold shrink tubing over the entire butt. If I get fancy (not likely), I could put some twine on a pattern over the butt before the cold shrink tubing.

The key is simplicity, weight and the ability to restore the rod to stock should I ever want to resell it. Any ideas?

DSCN1237.JPG

Triet,

The simpplest way is to use a piece of scrap blank covered with cork and glue it all together. This is a simple job.

If you want to come up to the shop on a Saturday morning I can fit it all up for you.

Al

Thanks for the offer Al. Still trying to figure out the extension length. Couldn't sleep and came up with this. 3". Might go for a little longer butt. Still playing around.

DSCN1239.JPG