Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfrat59

Who's building what this winter?

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

After shaking off the excess pounds gained from 2 weeks of holiday festivities and paying the first whopping Xmas credit card bill it's time to start thinking about fishing again. Curious to know if anyone has anything special planned to wrap this winter. Myself I think I'll try a flyrod, nothing high end for the first attempt, a nice moderate action 8 or 9 wt, I'll look for a blank and components at the Somerset show the end of this month...any recommendations on a modestly priced blank would be appreciated. Would also like to build a couple on Allstar blanks, maybe a 9 ft bomber rod and a 10-10 1/2 footer for tossing plugs to 3 ounces or so, something with the balls of a 1201M but a bit faster and crisper...never built on Allstar but those of you here who do recommend them highly, figure it's time I got aquainted with em...again any recommendations would be appreciated. Always been a fan of Lami GSB's...not so much for their actions, I prefer faster rods, but for their toughness. Gonna add an Arra, 1321 or 1322 to the lineup and see how long it holds up, always shyed away from em cause I'm hard on my gear, we'll see how it does. So whats anybody got planned for rods they have to have before next season...lets hear about em

Happy New Year fellas...and tight wraps

wink.gif

I've got a few GUSA's to wrap, as well as some Calstar's. A pair of SMB1364M Lami's. And a Kencor Tuna rod, which I'm looking foward to.

For me, I don't need much. I'm gonna look into a slightly heavier FLuke BT stick (another one, lol), another rod for the Tortuga's,and maybe another Tuna jigging rod. Probably a GUSA SW70H extended a few inches to handle the last 2. I'm gonna also wrap a deepwater Tog GUSA, and see if I can break it next season.

I got 4 on the block one fw/lite bt fluke rig already have the grips done and set just waiting on the guides

1 7ft heavy glass tog blank need to get the reelseat and guides for it

rewrap the first rod my parents ever gave me for my son to use

and wrap a purple and pink blank for my daughter she also want tinkerbell on it eek.gif I need to learn how to weave quick

Still have to finish my Lami 1083 that has been going on since Nov. redface.gif Just picked up an American Tackle 701H for fluking and a complete refurb and rewrap for a family member.

Sudsy...I got the Purglas 300 1 ( Thanks Bob S!)

this blank has me confused, which isn't always hard to do...wrapping it spinning...4 guides, 5 guides? what guides to use ? i'm a rookie wrapper ( 17 rods) ...any suggestions?

With a newer blank like this that hasn't been built on much the best thing to do is experiment by taping on guides, moving them around, adding some on and taking em off til you get it right.

I'm sure the more experienced builders here have some advanced calculus mathematical formulas for this tongue.gif But I just use the low tech method.

I'm planning to refurbish a couple of Fenwicks that have been hangin' on my wall for about ten years now. Before that they were collecting dust at my father's place. Both are 11.5 ft, one a yellow/mustard with a Fenwick/Grizzley label, the other is deep brown, Fenwick I'm told. Late 60's, early 70's they were my dad's and his friend's Montauk rods BEFORE the place got crazy. Should be fun finding out about the blanks and how to guide them.

In addition to the normal surf rod varieties , I want to build on 2 4piece lami fly rod blanks I have (8wt) . I also want to build a heavy tuna rod and if Big Dave ever gets me the blank , a new canal rod for myself on a 10 foot Ziplex Sea Raider II.

Just starting also,i have 2 loomis PS78-50 and 2 PS78-60,to build,3 C6909 Lami,and i am waiting for some CGBT 96 1MH Lamis,i am starting with a 6'2" bucktail rod,no name on it,nice for 20' in back bays behind stone harbor N.J.

I'm building a 10 Wt. 9 ft., 2 Pc Fly rod with a St. Croix 3FT9010 blank right now and have a Lami GSB1081L blank and Fuji components ready to go. If I can somehow quietly get it past my wife, I would also like to build a Lami GSB1321M before Spring.