Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteD

EVA Full Wells

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Just a suggestion...

I had eva grips on a flyrod and any thing as soft as the rubbers and foams used are too soft for a flyrod IMO.

You will fatigue faster and get less distance as well due to the slight slopiness this will impart to your cast. Stick to cork! smile.gificon14.gif

I had a burled cork handle and I like it better than regular cork. I just wanted to see how the EVA or harder foam would work. I have cork handles some are good others not so. I would like to experiment and try an EVA handle.

I'm just a beginning fly caster myself, but when I false cast my 11wt line on my 10 wt rod, I can feel the regular cork rings compress a little in my hand when I snap the back and forward casts.

If you used EVA, it would crush even more and your rod tip would not snap as quick to impart the energy into the line for greater distance. As a result, the tip would tail down and you would actually loose distance.

I hope I didn't make all you fly fishermen cringe with my explanation, so please forgive me.

I have tried all kinds of wacky ideas including larger guides, bigger handles, soft rods, fast rods. More often than not its what I do more than the rod that effects a cast. If you figure you throw a ball park guess of 20 - 30 casts an hour at night. Most are good casts others bad, but you tend to compensate and they even out.

I want to try the EVA to see how comfortable I can make the rod. Reduce the stress in my hand, rather than worry that I will loose distance.

I don't think I've ever seen anything so universally agreed upon in the entire of rod building literature as the fact that synthetic grips on a fly rod is a really bad idea.