Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

foregrip taper ?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I would like to taper the top end of my cork-tape forgrip down to the blank so that I can then wrap up onto it with thread. Is there a good method to achieve this taper? It seems to kind of crumble in small sticky chunks if I try to use sand paper.

You can carefully cut the tape at an angle using a razor blade. You may need to use more then one as the cork tape seems to dull the blades quickly. I am assuming you are tieing off your butt wrap over the tape? If so, start your tie off and meet the edge of the tape. Start the wrap back toward the butt wrap and then back again toward the tape. This will help the thread work up the tape much easier as it will be a bit higher off the blank.

TEhre is one post from a couple of years ago in this forum which has 3 or 4 methods to do this. IT's an EXCELLENT thread, use the search and look for Cork Foregrip, adn I think you might find a lot more info than you need.

I use a blade as described above to taper it. If I'm careful , it can be wrapped after the razor blade. if i take too big a cut each turn , I dress it with a rasp before wrapping. I use a high speed turning it in the lathe with a very light rasp pressure. Knock off the extra pebbles of cork by just going around it with you fingers.

I use a razor blade or a nail file and turn it in a lathe also. You can "prep" the cork with a coat of five minute epoxy before applying thread or not. Lately I have just been wrapping the thread up on the cork tape and have no issues.

Keep in mind that the cork tape will compress under thread pressure so to get a perfect taper down to where it meets the blank is not super critical. Also the cork tape and the amount of thread that you use to finish this area will hold a lot of "air" when the finish is applied I get a lot of bubbles in this spot. I use a heat gun on the first coat to try and release as much air as possible.

Just to be clear so no one gets hurt....i use the blade with the rod still. Not spinning on the lathe. I spinn the rod for using the rasp on the rare occasions it comes out too flat sided after using the blade.

I put the poxy on and let it soak into the threads well and then take it all off with a dry brush. no bubbles do to the cork that way. second coat you can usually just caot it but if you still see bubbles , wipe that off too with a dry brush and do a third coat after it cures.