Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamakatsu

Another Tog Rod Question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I love Calstar blanks, but I also like a 7 1/2' rod for party boat blackfish and Caltsar only makes 7 or 8 foot blanks. I am contemplating buying a Calstar 800L or 800M and trimming 6" off the back end to get it down to my 7 1/2'. What are your thoughts on doing this? Should I just go with a 700 series rod and not worry about the 6 additional inches? Thanks for any input you may have.

------------------

Gamakatsu

snook1.gif

Gama,

I do that all the time. I would go with the 800L. The 700L is a sweet tog rod that several of us have fish in the fast tides of the Northfork. The 700M is capable of fishing Georges Bank.

For the ultimate performance, set it up with a spiral wrap.

Al

Thanks for the comeback Al. I am looking for a meat stick of a tog rod to use on wrecks when the big boys are around and for use during the heavy tides that you describe. Do you think the "M" rods are overkill, even for this application? I am covered for more benign conditions now, so it does not need to be an all purpose blackfish rod. Thanks again!

------------------

Gamakatsu

snook1.gif

Gama,

I will have a Calstar rod for you to see at the Freeport Show. The blank comes in both 7 and 8 feet. These a blanks that I special ordered from Calstar. I think they would be ideal for what you are looking for.

The 7ooM and 800M from Calstar are tuna iron jigging blanks.

Al

I will have a booth at the Freeport Show with Capt. Neil Faulkner, a great rod builder in his own right and alternate captain on the Shinnecock Star.

Capt Neil will hold down the fort while I give talks on Saturday and Sunday on basic rod building, bucktailing for trophy fluke and bottom fishing rigging tips and techniques.

It should be a busy weekend.

Al

Gama,

I believe the bucktailing talk is on Saturday either at Noon or 1 PM. I need to check with the program coordinator and will post the schedule as soon as it is available.

Al