Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Crystal Coat vs UD40 LS supreme

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Ok, I'va actually used both. The Crystal Coat is a lot thinner then the Supreme - I mean like water thin vs lite maple syrup. With the Supreme, you can fully coat a guide on a med/heavy boat rod with 3-4 coats - that's to my liking, some do it with 2. With Crystal Coat, you're looking at at least double that amount for the same build up of epoxy.

Bubbles - both are really good for releasing bubbles, although the CC will NEVER get any - it's just too thin.

Clarity - In muy opinion, the Supreme is clear, while the CC is sort of yellowish amber - barely noticeable, and it may be a problem I have when I applied it.

Pot life - CC - forever, easily over an hour, Supreme - about 30-40 minutes.

Overall - I use them both as a primary coat to seal the guides suffeciently to the blank (not really to the blank, but I know they fill the tunnel between the guide and teh thread completely. The CC does give off a strong odor and you should be in a well ventilated area when using it. You also need to be careful no plastics come in contact with the CC because the Solvents in the epoxy will eat through it.

I also do not suggest using the Crystal FLo with the CC - I used it once and definately screwed up - the epoxy was tacky after 2 full weeks!! Keep in mind it was my own error, an dif used properly it will yield nice results. I just do not find it neccesary to thin a water thin epoxy to start.

I hope I answered some of your questions. I like using both, but find the "thicker" Supreme to suit my needs better. Hopefully the formulation will not change.

Al, let's hear about the 30 coats of CC!!! Billy

Billy 40

I have some of the Crystal Coat from Clemens. I have never used it before. Any tips on how to mix and use it. Should use aluminum or stainless steel measuring spoons, can I dump it on aluminum foil and can I use wood sticks to stir? Thanks for any guidance.

DANe,

Use aluminum or stainless mixing spoons to measure the Crystal Coat and mix it is a glass baby food jar. Follow the label directions carefully.

Crystal Coat is water thin and is a very durable finish. I use it primarily as the initial sealer coat on saltwater rods and then top it off with a high-build finish like U40 Sumpreme or Flexcoat. I also use Crystal Coat when finishing fly rods.

Complying with Billy's request, I once finished a matched pair of unlimited stand-up tuna rods using only Crystal Coat. It took 30 coats of finish to achieve the desired results over a four week period just for the finishing. Good experience and the results were awesome.

Al

I mix all my epoxies in a shot glass and at times pour it out onto a tile covered in aluminum foil. With the Crystal Coat, I just apply it straight from the mixed shot glass. Do not slop it onto the wrap - it will all over if you do. I use a sable brush to apply it - I've heard teh cheepo Flex coat disposable brushes are not compatable with Crystal Coat. Make sure to mix an even amount, and if possible use a stanless or aluminum spatula - the wood soaks up the epoxy a little, not sure if it is a problem, but I use the spatula.

Billy