Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THEKID

Reelseats -- Choosing, Placement, Materials, etc.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al:

Because of all the trouble I've had over the past season with my reels slipping on the cork tape of my rods (have tried every tape & every combination of tapes) I've decided that this winter I will be placing reel seats on all of the rods I currently use. I am also going to build a few new rods with reel seats from the get-go.

A few questions for you:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>What is the best method for placeing a reel seat on a rod that is already complete? I assume I'll have to strip the cork tape from where the top of the reel seat will be down. Also, I assume I'll have to get a reel seat that is a little larger than the one needed for my blank, as I'll be sliding it up the butt rather than down the tip. Can you expand on this?

Is there a post you can direct me to where you actually explain the building of a rod with a reel seat? What materials are used to keep a reel seat in place? How do you determine which reel seat is right for which blank? Are all reel seats created equal?!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

I wonder if you have tried fiber packing tape? I covered the cork tape with a layer of electrician's tape. I then tape on the reel with several tight wraps of fiber reinforced packing tape. I then cover over the fiber tape with electrician's tape. The fiber tape is extremely strong, will not stretch or give.

Amazing. Mine has been taped on for two years of heavy use and is rock solid. Maybe your cork tape has deteriorated or is slipping. The cork tape on the lower grip area of my rod started to slip after only three years.

Hi.

This might help with your reel seat slipping. Shrink tubing decreases in size by 1/2 when heated.

Get the proper size shrink tubing and cut it to the desired length. Slide it over the butt end to its final location and apply heat carefully so you don't over heat the blank. When it cools you are ready to use the rod.

Shrink tubing is very strong. If need be you can sand it with 80 grit sandpaper to rough it up.

If you do it, please let me know how it works.

Capt Neil

------------------

Maybe ?? Fuji plate type reel seat.. I'd try one..You don't have to strip any guides to place it..Just wrap it in place , You can even tape the seat temporary to see if you like the position ...Cheap way out.. Starting from scratch is a different story..I like Fuji Deluxe seats..Don't try to save 3 bucks on a real seat..

Kid,

I know your reasons for not liking the plates, but I suggest you give it a try. A regular seat won't change the height issue anyway. Plates are not as firm as a regular Fuji seat, but installed properly, they work.

Have you tried friction tape under the reel foot before you tape it? Remind me next time I see you, I have it in my truck.

Ah, just build a few more rods with seats. Why not?