Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WorcBoy

Hot pink thread

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Al, I have a couple of spools of older gudebrod thread, a "radiant pink", "flour. Yellow" almost yellow chatruce. and a "radiant orange. the numbers on the 1oz wooden spools, that is how old they are. do not match any new thread numbers. I am looking for "A" thread in these bright colors. Any suggestions? I know gudebrod lists a hot pink and a yellow that is bright on thier catalog. have you played with these colors?

Bill

Bill,

I have not played with these colors. However, if you plan on wrapping them on a black blank use NCP size C and give the wraps at least two coats of color sealant to prevent any bleeding.

Al

Bill, "radiant pink", "flour. Yellow" almost yellow chatruce. and a "radiant orange" do not sound like any Gudebrod color names I've ever heard of. What are the actual numbers stamped onto those wooden spools? And where did those color "names" appear? Also stamped on the spool?

Gudebrod currently offers very bright "neon" threads in all of those colors - size A and D - but they're marketed for jig tying and specifically not recommended by Gudebrod for rod wrapping, due to their relatively poor color-fastness. Current rod wrapping thread "Hot Pink" - #0411, I think - is good looking stuff, but not exactly electric bright.

Ill look at the spools tonight. The numbers were stamped on like G. used to do. The name was written by an old gentleman I got these from (he died and was given a box of thread, old guides, and stuff.) It is D or C regular nylon and with at least 2 coats of CP stays nice and bright. I have used with both black blanks and honey (my favorite) with great success. I just want it in "A" to do finer under wraps/overwraps.

I will respond back Tuesday. Thanks

bill

Well I looked at the spools.....I cant figure out the numbers because they have faded. Also found ou the "dusty purple" was 337 NCP maroon (what a moron I can be) that I am using. I guess I will just order a 100yd spool of "A" hot pink and bright yellow to see how it looks before I buy the 1oz spools.

billy

You want bright wraps, do ya????? How neon-y do you want them? Madeira sells Polyneon threads that are so bright they hurt my eyes. I have never used them for wrapping a guide though, only decorative purposes - underwraps and butt wraps - but you could wrap the guide with NCP White A, then double wrap the guide with the Neon thread.

I plan on wrapping an Ice Rod or 2 in this manner, will let you know how it turns out if and when I do.

Billy

They are slightly smaller than Gudebrod A. Worcboy - You wanna see some Orange Neon thread??? E-Mail me your address and I'll send you some.

The only problem I have with these threads is that they do not come on a standard spool. The spool is about 3 1/2 inches long and doesn't sit on the thread tension bars of my lathe. I'd have to transfer it to a standard spool - which is what I'll send you.

Not really sure exactly how strong they are, and if they are capable of holding guides. I do know they are not as strong as Gudebrod though. If anyone knows a way to test the strength of thread, let me know.

BIlly

The tough part about testing thread is gripping it. the best way to grip it is to wrap it around something smoothand round without crossing threads and then tape the end down. That way the load to grip the thread is spread out as a low frictional load over the length wrapped and not concetrated at one grip. If you simply grip it by squeezing the thread you will always break at the grip at a lower strength.

A nice easy set up is to wrap one end of a length of thread around a pipe. Wrap about ten wraps without crossing the threads then tape the end. Next , leaving about 6 inches to be tested , wrap the other end about ten times around one side of an S hook and tape the end (weigh the S hook). On the other end of the S hook , hook a little bucket. Now just pour some beach sand into the bucket very slowly filling the bucket until the thread breaks. Weigh the bucket with the sand when the thread broke and add the weight of the S hook and you now know the load at which the thread broke (say 6 pounds). Do it about 5 times and take the average. You will be amazed at the accuracy.