Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadnboys

Building plugging rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

cwm27.gif I recently purchased a St. Croix 8.5 ft blank to build my first surf plugging rod. Blank is Med H, Fast action, Wild River series 2 pc. What is the best method to determine guide distance? The top of reel seat is 22" from the butt which is comfortable for me. Any suggestions, info, books available as I'm doing this for the first time? Reel suggestions?

Sounds like there is a lot of expertise on this board.

Spinner or conventional reel?

It will be a spinning rod, the Team Diawa S3000 CU has been reccommended to me.

Reel seat is a G-18, it is 17" from the butt to the bottom of the reel seat.

Reel is not decided yet, reccommendations?

It's 30" from the top of my reel seat to the end of the bottom blank. Too close for the first guide to be on the bottom blank? I put 2 layers of cork tape on for the grip. I would like to put a third for better handling, but have been told less tape means more sensitive rod. What do you reccommend?

Use as many layers of tape as you want til it feels comfortable.

i would put thefirst guide about 32 inches from the reel stem on that rod. a good reel would be a Penn 4500SS or one of the ABU center drags.

Put the tip guide (a 40 HH) about 6 inches from the tip. space the other guides out and stress test the rod to determine final spacing. Probably 5 guides.40HH , 30 , 20 , 16 , 12 and a twelve or ten tip. use an Sic tip and Hardloy guides.

A good book is the Custom Rod building book by Dale Clemens. Its available at various places online or at bigger bookstores.